Instant Karma - your stories

Oh I see...well yes he probably was. He'll be telling the story for years to come! Although I'm not sure how he would explain his idiocy crossing the road!

Only his story would probably be slightly different: "This plonker came round the corner as I was trying to cross the road and failed to stop. Not only that but it turned out he was the interviewer for the job I was after. He didn't hire me which was probably a good thing given his temper and attitude. Karma or what?"

Or something like that. ;)

No, that sounds more like spite.

Eh?

Only his story would probably be slightly different: "This plonker came round the corner as I was trying to cross the road and failed to stop. Not only that but it turned out he was the interviewer for the job I was after. He didn't hire me which was probably a good thing given his temper and attitude. Karma or what?"

Or something like that. ;)

Perhaps we should offer him the position then?

:hihi:

what would you call this karma or coincedence?

The British actor Anthony Hopkins [who shot to fame as Hannibal Lecter] was delighted to hear that he had landed a leading role in a film based on the book The Girl From Petrovka by George Feifer. A few days after signing the contract, Hopkins travelled to London to buy a copy of the book. He tried several bookshops, but there wasn't one to be had. Waiting at Leicester Square underground for his train home, he noticed a book apparently discarded on a bench.

Incredibly, it was The Girl From Petrovka. That in itself would have been coincidence enough but in fact it was merely the beginning of an extraordinary chain of events. Two years later, in the middle of filming in Vienna, Hopkins was visited by George Feifer, the author. Feifer mentioned that he did not have a copy of his own book.

He had lent the last one - containing his own annotations - to a friend who had lost it somewhere in London. With mounting astonishment, Hopkins handed Feifer the book he had found. 'Is this the one?' he asked, 'with the notes scribbled in the margins?' It was the same book.

what would you call this karma or coincedence?

The British actor Anthony Hopkins [who shot to fame as Hannibal Lecter] was delighted to hear that he had landed a leading role in a film based on the book The Girl From Petrovka by George Feifer. A few days after signing the contract, Hopkins travelled to London to buy a copy of the book. He tried several bookshops, but there wasn't one to be had. Waiting at Leicester Square underground for his train home, he noticed a book apparently discarded on a bench.

Incredibly, it was The Girl From Petrovka. That in itself would have been coincidence enough but in fact it was merely the beginning of an extraordinary chain of events. Two years later, in the middle of filming in Vienna, Hopkins was visited by George Feifer, the author. Feifer mentioned that he did not have a copy of his own book.

He had lent the last one - containing his own annotations - to a friend who had lost it somewhere in London. With mounting astonishment, Hopkins handed Feifer the book he had found. 'Is this the one?' he asked, 'with the notes scribbled in the margins?' It was the same book.

It's a brilliant story if it's true, but I wouldn't have said it was Karma. Just incredible coincidence!

So how does Karma work exactly, what system is in place to keep track of it all?

I don't suppose there is a way to keep 'track' of it, only your own life experiences. As I understand it, you have to be a buddhist to truly appreciate it, and believe in it. (Which I'm not) So I cannot speak authoratively about it, only google and quote!

I don't suppose there is a way to keep 'track' of it, only your own life experiences. As I understand it, you have to be a buddhist to truly appreciate it, and believe in it. (Which I'm not) So I cannot speak authoratively about it, only google and quote!

Jains and Hindu's as well as many pagans also believe in it. Strictly from the Buddhist perspective past and present action are what produce karma and it's a bit like motivated causality. Although the Buddha gave a few examples of direct results for specific action for the most part he said it couldn't be kept track of due to its subtle nature.

Hahaha..Now I'm lost! Who is Dr Russell? I mentioned the traveller cos Janie mentioned a St Christopher in the back, and he's the patron saint of 'Travellers'

Dr Russell was my old head teacher.

Emphasis on the "head".

He had and old morris trav and used to abuse us at school by forcing us to watch Morris dancing vids at end of term and stuff.

He was well into his morris dancing. Sadly, none of his pupils were but he made us all watch them anyhow.

Archived