Think you own your music??

You own the physical CD or Vinyl, but you dont own the recordings on them and are restricted in what you can do with them.

Absolutely. They are just storage media but at least there is a market for them as they are collectable artifacts. You can't sell a sound file that you've copied onto a hard drive or burnt to disc unless it is your own intellectual property.

Music downloads - the art of selling people nothing much at all. Plus they are usually compressed lossy mp3s. Strictly for the cheapskate.

Absolutely. They are just storage media but at least there is a market for them as they are collectable artifacts. You can't sell a sound file that you've copied onto a hard drive or burnt to disc unless it is your own intellectual property.

Music downloads - the art of selling people nothing much at all. Plus they are usually compressed lossy mp3s. Strictly for the cheapskate.

When you've bought it from Apple you can't. Other downloads are available.

I have gone back to vinyl having treated myself to a Rega turntable for my birthday last June.

I've as good as finished with compressed, squashed, lifeless, binary (signal, no signal) sound. Sure, iTunes is handy for seeking out that obscure track and is cheap.

But get yourself a nice turntable, amp and spend as much as you can on a pair of speakers. Instead of seeing music as something you take with you, look at it instead as something to come home to: kick off your shoes, grab a can and put the vinyl on the platter!

Who owns the music? Who cares so long as I have my vinyl!!

Think again! That is, if your music has been downloaded from iTunes.

I only discovered this after reading the story about Bruce Willis wanting to pass on his iTunes collection to his children after he dies.

Apparently, the small print states, that you are only loaning the music from iTunes and once you pass away, your collection passes back to Apple!

Also, something else that I didn't know, Apple can freeze or cancel your account if they suspect that you are sharing your MP3 files, even with friends or family......and the best bit, they can close your account if they find out that you are putting the MP3 files on any other device, other than an iPod.

Personally, I prefer owning a hard copy of the CD or vinyl, then at least I know it belongs to me!

This is the reason I won't buy a kindle. I can't believe their cheek charging full price for digital copies of things (which are cheaper to manufacture) which you never own:loopy:

apparently many people are suckers though!

I have gone back to vinyl having treated myself to a Rega turntable for my birthday last June.

I've as good as finished with compressed, squashed, lifeless, binary (signal, no signal) sound. Sure, iTunes is handy for seeking out that obscure track and is cheap.

But get yourself a nice turntable, amp and spend as much as you can on a pair of speakers. Instead of seeing music as something you take with you, look at it instead as something to come home to: kick off your shoes, grab a can and put the vinyl on the platter!

Who owns the music? Who cares so long as I have my vinyl!!

Uncanny! I was looking at decks the other day. I have a smallish collection of LP's, singles that go back 30-40 years and I have a hankering to reminisce.

This is the reason I won't buy a kindle. I can't believe their cheek charging full price for digital copies of things (which are cheaper to manufacture) which you never own:loopy:

apparently many people are suckers though!

Here here! I like the feel and smell of books to, it's a fetish but far less frowned upon than sniffin' underwear.

Archived