How much were Camper vans in the 1960s

GOLDEN OLDIE

Thanks Hillsbro. That would bear out my theory that not many people could afford them in the 60s when you were lucky to be earning £1000 a year? So, the fact that they were called 'Hippy Vans' was probably because they were bought much later by would be hippies? Do you agree or am I off course with it?

This all came about as I've just spent a week in Cornwall and every vintage camper van in the World must have been there!!

..the fact that they were called 'Hippy Vans' was probably because they were bought much later by would be hippies?...
I imagine this is true. I do remember seeing elderly camper vans, a bit like this but more battered-looking and with the sweet smell of non-tobacco smoke emanating from them when I was working in London - this would have been 1976-77..:)

Hippies were the sons and daughters of the upper class and upper-middle class. Their dads bought them a camper like they do now with Audis and Range Rovers. If you were a working-class youth in the 1960s, you'd be a Mod and ride a scooter.

Archived