Kids without shoes.

You may wish to know that the Save the Children charity are hoping to raise money to lift low paid working families out of poverty in this country and try to lessen the worst effects of the economic climate.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/sep/05/save-the-children-uk-campaign

There again, you might just want to rely on prejudice. It's easier.

What Regatta said about the parents is true, at least for one example that I know of.

One "mother" not far from me was heard complaining that she'd not got enough to feed her kids and that they were living on beans on toast. In the same conversation she was heard asking her eldest to 'fetch her another can (of beer) and her cigs"

how do you know that?

I know that. I often went without new school shoes, trainers for PE or a proper coat for winter because my parents spent all their time and money in the pub.

I had to feed myself most nights as they were out, and that's if there was any food in the house. I missed out on most school trips and basically had to pay my own way from the age of 13 by taking 2 x regular babysitting jobs.

This was 20 years ago, so if it went on then it sure as hell is still going on today.

You may wish to know that the Save the Children charity are hoping to raise money to lift low paid working families out of poverty in this country and try to lessen the worst effects of the economic climate.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/sep/05/save-the-children-uk-campaign

There again, you might just want to rely on prejudice. It's easier.

Research published by the charity on Wednesday reveals significant numbers of parents in households with income of up to £30,000 a year are willing to skip meals, go into debt, avoid paying bills, and put off replacing worn-out clothing to ensure their children get enough food to eat.

Maybe some lessons in budgeting would be in order, not sure why anyone on that income would need to go without food.

I know that. I often went without new school shoes, trainers for PE or a proper coat for winter because my parents spent all their time and money in the pub.

I had to feed myself most nights as they were out, and that's if there was any food in the house. I missed out on most school trips and basically had to pay my own way from the age of 13 by taking 2 x regular babysitting jobs.

This was 20 years ago, so if it went on then it sure as hell is still going on today.

Please take this in the spirit it's posted, it's said with a good heart. That graphic post has made me feel so sad for the child-you. You must be an exceptional person to have been able to organise yourself as you describe. I know that whatever you've achieved since won't make those early years feel any better when you relive them, and maybe they contain some sad memories, but you're ok now, yes?

Do you think that getting input from an organisation like Save the Children would have made a difference to things? Or would your parents have continued to muddle through and do their own thing and more or less leave you to paddle your own canoe?

I look after my child with no support from his mother. I go without so I can buy him food. We couldn't afford a holiday this year but he didn't complain. His mother only lives three miles away and contributes nothing to his welfare and I feel bitter considering she took me to Family Court to get residence for him. She got legal aid and it must have cost many thousands of pounds for nothing.

Archived