What if hitler had won the war with britains help

I believe I must be one of the very few people on this forum who actually lived through wwII. I was with my family at 9 years old on December 15th 1940 under the stairs of our Tinsley house when it was destroyed along with most of the street by a German sea mine dropped by parachute. This was after the city centre had been bombed the thursday night before. I was near Endcliffe Park the afternoon an American B17 bomber, badly damaged from a raid on Germany, crashed in the trees of the park, while attempting to land on the football pitch. The pilot turned away to avoid youngsters playing football, and couldn't climb away from the trees. Ten brave crewmen on the plane were killed. I could write a book on the things that happened in that war, and I'm glad to see some interest still attaches to it. But some of theories being slung around here are pure nonsense. British people were more united and willing to suffer and fight than they have ever been since. The feeling of being one with everyone was great. There were communists, including my father, but they were on our side then because Russia was fighting for their lives ( and ours ). Most of us were pleased to have the Americans on our shore, except for a few Englishmen, who were a bit upset by the girls who liked these strangers for their uniforms, money, and fun. How we managed without TV, youtube, facebook, gps etc. I'll never know.

That's something my father-in-law commented on when reminiscing on his few months in England before D-Day.

A man approached him in a pub, club or some place or other and said something about "yanks being over here stealing our girls"

My dad in law replied.

"i didn't ask to come here. I was quite happy where I was in peaceful Minnesota. They sent me here"

Of course London, Coventry etc never sustained any casualties as it just didn't happen. I mean how could it? we were never invaded. The Americans made up Pearl Harbour too, just to get in the thick of it.

Back to skool S10. Or Germany preferably.

is been bombed from the air the same as been invaded? no i though not

I said, for the hard of thinkinig, that no one could invade the British Isles by sea...

thats what the RN are ther for

in 1939 we had a massive navy.... they would have beat the Kreigsmarine if there was only one ship to ten...

Sorry, new to this thread, just thought I'd make a bit of a contribution to an interesting subject :)

As far as Hitler was concerned Britain was finished in June 1941
Hitler was of course wrong on this point, as Britain was by this time on a total war footing and outproducing Germany in terms of tanks, aircraft and other military hardware.

The big mistake made by the Germans in 1941 was the same one they had made in 1914, failing to defeat all opposition in the West before taking on the Russians.

The battle of Stalingrad was much the turning point in Hitler's fortunes. It was a battle without mercy or quarter given on either side.
I agree with this, though it has to be said that the war was far from won after Stalingrad and the Soviets suffered some major defeats afterwards, so I don't think a single turning point can be identified.

I read a reasonable summary elsewhere that went somewhere along the lines of "after Stalingrad it was clear that the Germans could no longer win the war, and after Kursk it was clear that they were going to lose".

Sorry, new to this thread, just thought I'd make a bit of a contribution to an interesting subject :)

Hitler was of course wrong on this point, as Britain was by this time on a total war footing and outproducing Germany in terms of tanks, aircraft and other military hardware.

The big mistake made by the Germans in 1941 was the same one they had made in 1914, failing to defeat all opposition in the West before taking on the Russians.

I agree with this, though it has to be said that the war was far from won after Stalingrad and the Soviets suffered some major defeats afterwards, so I don't think a single turning point can be identified.

I read a reasonable summary elsewhere that went somewhere along the lines of "after Stalingrad it was clear that the Germans could no longer win the war, and after Kursk it was clear that they were going to lose".

Hitler of course was the classic gambler not to mention extremely ignorant and naive when it came to understanding foreign countries and their leaders.

Despite facts to the contrary he believed England would soon sue for peace in 1941 and even if that didnt happen the British forces were too weakened and numerically small to launch an invasion across the channel. Hence his turning to attack Soviet Russia which he believed was rotten and corrupt and incapable of resisting his armies for very long.

He was so sure of a quick victory after those in Poland and France that he saw no necessity for equipping his army and military hardware for winter fighting conditions.

By captruing Moscow he believed that Russia would surrender but even though Stalin contemplated at one period to turning over the Ukraine in excahnge for a cease fire his generals and advisers told him instead he should evacuate and move beyond the Urals and continue the fight there if Moscow fell and to this he agreed.

Some of Hitlers generals started to have doubts about their misson soon after invading Russia. The sheer vastness of the country overwhelmed them, the hot long, dry dusty summers clogged up their tank engines and howitzers, caused rifles to jam whereas the Red Army was supplied with much better lubricants and the T-34 arguably the best all purpose tank in WW2 continued to function efficiently in all weathers just as the weaponry of the individual Red army soldier. Of course in winter even more problems occured in the effective use of German arms and equipment

The German horse drawn artillery often fell far behind the advancing panzers and infantry and frequent pauses in the operations at critical moments caused lost opportunites to occur because of the lack of artillery support although the Luftwaffe at that period was still able to give ground support pretty effectively but it's heavy artillery that is essential to soften up enemy positions before attacking. Theres a very interesting book called "Stalingrad" written by Anthony Beevor which goes into a lot of detail regarding the initial German invasion and leading up to the battle of Stalingrad

Archived