New personal best on pole!

ChrisT70

Chuffin hell chaps some big fish there well beyond my capability if I got them on either my pole or rod I recon it would mean another trip to the tackle shop.

I had one at 7lb yesterday at Side Farm that took what sempt ages to land, mind you that was with doubled 4. The Ide were also missing there too but had a nice day with Skimmers & Crucians.

usually its not too bad, but down the margin you need to be on the ball with all your spare sections ready to go, and as soon as you hit a carp be plugging the extra in, whether its an f1 or a biggy.they are on their heads in about 2ft/3ft water and the f1s just jig about, the big boys head off at warp speed. if you can turn them on the first or second good run its generally your fish, but obviously there is a limit, and i found it the other day with the one biggy, he wouldnt turn and it was a close thing to too much strain on the pole. its not fair on the fish tbh to be playing them for more than 10-15mins, i dont think i had one on longer than that apart from a 9lb carp hooked square in the tail, which sometimes happens down the edge. that took some stopping lol. the 13lb 8oz fish was stopped dead and just circled for a while, some of the ghost carp there seem to fight like demons even if smaller than that!

usually you dont get so many big uns right in the margin there like that, so i am tempted to set up a strong rod/reel and margin rig to help get them out.

has anyone got a postcode for clearwater?

i havent fished pegs 40-70, but the pegs from 75 up are usually good , the early pegs are often matched up when we go so we havent as yet fished peg1 which is a flyer.

no meat, so we have been catching on banded pellet and corn. its a very decent venue when the bream and other fish join in, so its not just carp, you dont know what the next fish will be. we tend to not catch many ide, but if you set your stall out you would get loads of good stamp there if they are feeding. its deep, 12ft in the middle, and 2-3ft in the margins off the first shelf. most methods and styles seem to work there.

It sounds ok for anyone who enjoy a good mix of fish sizes not for me though, I know my gear is not up to catching fish of any decent size nor am I for that matter. The Skimmers & Ide sound interesting though I may go for a look. Is there a cafe?

Yes I know of lakeside & have had some nice days there, but it's not a place I can get to. A mate that I fish with can only get at weekends & the match lake is usually matched.

I have fished the strips but my pal won't fish them.

thats why we like clearwater tbh, its a very natural looking lake and doesnt look like most commercials. no cafe though as mentioned.

as per my other thread, if anyone wants a really nice commercial fishery for a few days with a proper cafe and bar, plus accomodation then westwood lakes at wyberton fen is superb. massive stocks of mixed fish.

Archived