Question about drugs

Alcohol was normalised in British culture hundreds of years ago, probably because it was safer to drink than water at the time; normalising additional intoxicating substances to the culture isn't going to help things.

The waters improved a lot since then though, nowadays it's a complete role-reversal: the water is safer than the alcohol.

Does that mean we've normalised water? Is that a bad thing?

Nice to see tax payers money being spent on cracking real crime isnt it. They want to be busting drug barons not kids at a party having fun.

Millions of these so called kids at parties help fund the drug barons, if no one bought this rubbish there would be nobody selling it.:huh:

Doesn't alter the fact that alcohol is an intoxicating substance thats normalised within british culture. Making excuses for it based on its legality and because its the drug of choice for millions also doesn't alter the fact its an addictive killer that ruins lives as much as other drugs that are illegal

We probably would resist normalising alcohol now in the present day if it wasn't already; thats why its different with alcohol, its too late because, as I say, it was normalised hundreds of years ago and has just continued on into the present.

Knowing what damage alcohol does to society, people like you want to throw other intoxicating substances into the mix by normalising them as well, which I find dangerous and irresponsible

The waters improved a lot since then though, nowadays it's a complete role-reversal: the water is safer than the alcohol.

Does that mean we've normalised water? Is that a bad thing?

We've had hundreds of years of alcohol being part of British culture; I'd rather it wasn't such a big part, but it is, and reversing hundreds of years of normalisation of it is proving to be difficult, whereas normalising relatively novel/new substances into British culture in the here and now can and should be avoided before it starts.

We probably would resist normalising alcohol now in the present day if it wasn't already; thats why its different with alcohol, its too late because, as I say, it was normalised hundreds of years ago and has just continued on into the present.

Knowing what damage alcohol does to society, people like you want to throw other intoxicating substances into the mix by normalising them as well, which I find dangerous and irresponsible

The problem is drugs already are a normal part of society, maybe not to you but to plenty of people they are. You aren't going to get rid of drugs.

I am however curious by what you mean by "normalise"? I certainly wouldn't want to see the currently illegal drugs as readily available as alcohol is if they were to be decriminalised. Why would I? There is middle ground between making something legal and making it readily available especially if its toxic as drugs absolutely are. I'd like to see the availability of alcohol much more strictly controlled.

The problem is drugs already are a normal part of society, maybe not to you but to plenty of people they are. You aren't going to get rid of drugs.

I am however curious by what you mean by "normalise"? I certainly wouldn't want to see the currently illegal drugs as readily available as alcohol is if they were to be decriminalised. Why would I? There is middle ground between making something legal and making it readily available especially if its toxic as drugs absolutely are. I'd like to see the availability of alcohol much more strictly controlled.

We will never get rid of drugs! we need to get rid of people like you.:suspect:

Archived