Trouble doing a defrag.

I do regular defrags on my computer and normally have no problem. Until now, that is.

It goes up to 10% and then goes back to 0% with the message: 'Drive's contents have changed: restarting'.

Then it starts again and so on.

Anyone any ideas what to do?

Apreciated.

You must be using an old version of Norton Disk Frag or a system that doesn't like the disk to be accessed at the same time.

Chances are you have something that's writing to the disk on a regular schedule so I'd look to see if you've installed anything new that might be causing this...

Basically something has written to the disk while it's being defragged. Close any background programs (ctrl-alt-del), disable screen saver etc. and try again. If you're still having problems run msconfig if you have it and disable all programs on startup then restart in safe mode and try running defrag then.

Originally posted by fnkysknky

Basically something has written to the disk while it's being defragged. Close any background programs (ctrl-alt-del), disable screen saver etc. and try again. If you're still having problems run msconfig if you have it and disable all programs on startup then restart in safe mode and try running defrag then.

I always close the background programmes and screensaver so I'll have to try the other idea. Whatever it is!

Er, just looked and don't appear to have msconfig. Any other ideas?

Martin, the only thing that has been installed recently is a new printer. It can't be that surely?

You probably do have msconfig. Click your Start button, then Run and then type in MSCONFIG. Go to the start-up tab, disable anything that might cause the problem and then restart your computer. Do the defrag, run MSCONFIG, put the options back on, restart and you're done :)

Originally posted by Geoff

You probably do have msconfig. Click your Start button, then Run and then type in MSCONFIG. Go to the start-up tab, disable anything that might cause the problem and then restart your computer. Do the defrag, run MSCONFIG, put the options back on, restart and you're done :)

Thanks, Geoff. Defrag went like a dream!

Archived