Need advice please

I need some help or advice re the Furniture For Less store on Chesterfield Road, next door to Hombase :confused:

We (my son and I) went up there beginning of september last year to buy a new settee and one armchair. Had a good look round and decided on what I wanted. I didnt take their offer of a pre measure of things as they charged £25, we took our own up there and warned them how difficult it might be to get the furniture in. We have an end terrace with steps down to the back door and a front door that opens directly onto the stairs with dining room and front room off left and right, so not much space. They accepted our measurements and settee and armchair arrive about a month later but it wont come in the house, they took both back to the shop telling us we'd have to choose another.

Travel up there again and I asked the manager for my money back, but because I hadnt done the professional check they offered they said no, they had furniture on their hands taking up space, I'd have to pick something else which I did. I didnt spend the same amount, I got a cheaper settee under pressure and then felt obliged to choose an armchair that didnt match, because they didnt have one to match the settee, it was a sale item. Chair and settee finally arrive and with a bit of pushing and shoving the settee is in, the chair was easy as it was an upright.

My problem is that because the money left over is more than £100 they wont give it me back :o Its shop policy I'm told...gutted and I wouldnt mind but the previous year I'd bought a bed costing over £500, I was spending money left to me by my mother. The money left in what is apparently "my account" with the shop has been there about a year:(

Been up there since to try and buy something else but there was nothing suitable. I've no idea what the law is on this kind of "shop policy" and would value any help you can give as to how wrong or right they are in their decision...

Thanks for the links although I was hoping for a more personal answer.

I know about CAB and the link for the other one doesnt look appropriate as they seem to charge for their help. I've had a look and e mailed them in case they can offer any advice.

Thanks

They can hardly refuse me my cash at all, its mine!! :rolleyes: Call it change if you like from what I've already spent, thats exactly how I see it..

I got an instant reply from the Furniture Ombudsman who couldnt help, but recommended Trading Standards so I've e mailed them, also CAB, waiting to hear. Dont know why I didnt think of TS, had good advice from them in the past. Thanks anyway

This may not be what you want to hear but the onus would be on you to ensure the original furniture purchased will fit as you didn't take up their measuring service. Legally i'm sure you could take them to court claiming that it is unfair to hold unspent monies if there is nothing else you like however they could counter claim that they have lost money to sell off the original furniture as generally they can't return them to suppliers and would have to sell off as surplus stock. Morally it does sound a bit strong arm though as they aren't exactly going to win you over as a long term promoter of their business. I would be inclined to have a further discussion with the manager about damage done to their reputation for the sake of £100 and appeal to his better nature to refund the money and allow you to walk away as a promoter of his business, not a detractor!

Archived