Another teacher's strike looms

Would that training day be similar to the late opening of some banks and shops once a week for training.

It is an ex-holiday day, stolen from us by Ken Baker in the bad years:) He stole five of them.

Would that training day be similar to the late opening of some banks and shops once a week for training.
Not sure I get the (full meaning of the -) analogy willman, sorry.

In any case, I wouldn't know: I'm not a teacher.

Are you suggesting teachers should stay after class for some more training? :D

No, as unlike the banks the schools will be closed to pupils for the whole day.

That's not quite right - the pupils have a day off and the teachers have to work,thats is the reality although most people prefer to ignore the truth.

Shops,council departments and banks choose to remain closed.

Not sure I get the (full meaning of the -) analogy willman, sorry.

In any case, I wouldn't know: I'm not a teacher.

Are you suggesting teachers should stay after class for some more training? :D

I was just making the point(not having a dig) that numerous other places/departments don't work for part days for training so it isn't unique to teachers yet everyone moans about it.

I know several schools who work late for training and then have the "training day " off with the kids.

That's not quite right - the pupils have a day off and the teachers have to work,thats is the reality although most people prefer to ignore the truth.

Shops,council departments and banks choose to remain closed.

But the teachers could do that work when the school is closed for the holidays. Teachers should train over the 6 week holiday period so that the children are unaffected by the school closure and then they wont need a day (or 2) off.

What do teacher do in that 6 weeks off and do they also get paid during that time?

That's democracy for you. If you don't like it, there are plenty of totalitarian states for you to move to:)

In any case, if folks don't want to strike, they wont strike. The vote just gives the union a mandate, it doesn't force anyone to do anything.

Non-striking teachers wont be sent to Coventry or called scabs though will they??

I was just making the point(not having a dig) that numerous other places/departments don't work for part days for training so it isn't unique to teachers yet everyone moans about it.
I didn't take it as a dig at all, but all things considered -and regardless- I'm admittedly too much of a baby-eating capitalist to engage in this "teachers' pay/reward/terms/etc." debate all over again (it's been had so many times on here already), and for it to end up in any satisfying fashion (well...so far as I'm concerned :hihi:)

I don't get the luxury of 'not working for part days for training' - but still have to juggle my professional tasks and targets with fulfilling my annual CPD requirements (cumulated for 3 bodies no less, or I risk losing professional qualifications and corresponding registrations, and therefore my livelihood).

Call it envy if you wish (hey, at least I'm honest). But to me, teachers don't have it so bad at all, and certainly not to the extent their unions portray. Put it all together and, 'in market terms', based on my experience as a parent, I don't feel as I'm getting value for money.

Carry on :)

Archived