Another teacher's strike looms

But the teachers could do that work when the school is closed for the holidays. Teachers should train over the 6 week holiday period so that the children are unaffected by the school closure and then they wont need a day (or 2) off.

What do teacher do in that 6 weeks off and do they also get paid during that time?

They do!!! These days ARE in the school holidays, it's just that they are usually tagged at the beginning or the end, as it's easier to get everyone together then, and cheaper for the school as they don't have to fire boilers up, etc, for a one-off day stuck in the middle, and they are fired up ready for the kids arriving. The kids are not getting less days of education, it's the teachers who are losing days from their holidays.

If you are seriously bothered about your kids' education, then pick a real issue that is affecting standards, such as kids being regularly babysat for hours on timetable by non-teachers instead of being taught by qualified teachers.

That's democracy for you. If you don't like it, there are plenty of totalitarian states for you to move to:)

In any case, if folks don't want to strike, they wont strike. The vote just gives the union a mandate, it doesn't force anyone to do anything.

That's right. That's the job of the folk who put your windows through.

They do!!! These days ARE in the school holidays, it's just that they are usually tagged at the beginning or the end, as it's easier to get everyone together then, and cheaper for the school as they don't have to fire boilers up, etc, for a one-off day stuck in the middle, and they are fired up ready for the kids arriving. The kids are not getting less days of education, it's the teachers who are losing days from their holidays.

Er, the school over the road from me went back this Monday after the school holidays finished. I believe that next week they will be closed for 2 days for teacher training so that is definitely not being done during the holidays and means the kids are having time off.

That's right. That's the job of the folk who put your windows through.

My windows seem pretty ok thanks. You seem to be stuck in the 1970s.

Incidentally, I drove through Puisseguin a couple of weeks ago. It is a lovely place.

Er, the school over the road from me went back this Monday after the school holidays finished. I believe that next week they will be closed for 2 days for teacher training so that is definitely not being done during the holidays and means the kids are having time off.

If the kids are not at school, they are on holiday... aren't they?

The training days are taken whilst the kids are on holiday.

But the teachers could do that work when the school is closed for the holidays. Teachers should train over the 6 week holiday period so that the children are unaffected by the school closure and then they wont need a day (or 2) off.

What do teacher do in that 6 weeks off and do they also get paid during that time?

Why should they - they get a holiday entitlement and they take it, just like other jobs.

They lost a weeks holiday when Mr Baker invented training days.

So, the kids went back two days early, so they are getting two days holiday back next week, and the teachers are still losing these two days of their holiday. The kids are not getting any more time off school, it's just that a couple of their days holiday have been moved.

If the kids are not at school, they are on holiday... aren't they?

The training days are taken whilst the kids are on holiday.

No, the kids are on holiday because the school is closed for the day, cause and effect. They have just returned after the official summer break and a week later there are teachers training days.

Unless the kids go back 2 days earlier than normal to compensate for the extra training days then the days off are extra to the normal holiday.

Edit..Answered by Darth Vader

If the kids went back two days earlier then that is diferent

Perhaps if the pupils weren't such little toe rags,the staff wouldn't need as much training.

"We need to get esmeralda a grade b,but she's thick/absent/drunk so lets have some training so we can try and develop her ability by creating more work for ourselves"

No, the kids are on holiday because the school is closed for the day, cause and effect. They have just returned after the official summer break and a week later there are teachers training days.

Unless the kids go back 2 days earlier than normal to compensate for the extra training days then the days off are extra to the normal holiday.

No teachers must be at work for 5 days more than the number of days pupils have to attend school.

Archived