Another teacher's strike looms

Do you really risk losing your job if (let's say most of-) your students fail? This is the first I've heard of this form of professional accountability in the UK education sector (and I do have several teacher friends, in the secondary and vocational sectors, would you believe :D).

I think it was unlikely 10 years ago, but is becoming more common over the last 5 years. Changes in the way teachers are assessed has been changing pretty quickly, it used to be a 'job for life' now I feel that teachers are treated like any other performance based profession, if you do hit or get near the targets you will be on the 'hit' list.

Most teachers are intelligent enough to go before they are shoved, hence the low rate of teachers being sacked. I would say it is quite common for teachers to be 'pushed out' Strangely poor teachers in one school can excel in another and vise versa, which makes a mockery of the system in my opinion.

Accidents do happen :D

Fairly frequently in your case.

And mine:cool:

Ah, well, then there are the non-trivial questions (recently brought to the fore again) of what level of difficulty to pitch national exams at and, correspondingly, how much of a pass rate to achieve for a class of age.

(and I will readily acknowledge that politics do rear their ugly head and meddle at some stage when considering the above).

This is the big issue, isn't it. Gove's meddling isn't making it any easier. Since 2010, I've operated GCSE courses under three different sets of rules. An announcement due next month will provide yet more change. None of the actions so far have changed standards, but they have generated plenty of headlines.

The issue is far too important to use as a political football, but both major parties seem happy to do so.

As for pass rates, that doesn't matter so much. There is a fine line to tread between motivation and meaningful qualifications. I'm not so concerned that the grade C pass rate at GCSE has flown up in recent years. If that improves motivation and attitudes to learning, so be it.

The numbers gaining the top grades matters more. Currently, the A-A* figure at GCSE is about 25% (from memory). In my opinion, this is the crucial grade and we need to make it harder for students to gain a clutch of qualifications at the very top grades. That way, we encourage everyone, yet we give an opportunity for the truly excellent to shine.

Do you really risk losing your job if (let's say most of-) your students fail? This is the first I've heard of this form of professional accountability in the UK education sector (and I do have several teacher friends, in the secondary and vocational sectors, would you believe :D).

:D One of the benefits of using an internet forum is that you occasionally bump into someone who knows what they are talking about, thus removing the need to rely upon supposition and prejudice.

It does happen, I've witnessed it happening very recently. Secondary school teachers in particular are scrutinised inside and out these days. I'm just putting the finishing touches to my analysis of the performance of my department. Then, I have to get it past the head. Not a problem most of the time, but headteachers these days don't stand for underperformance... It affects their bonus, you see.

Fairly frequently in your case.

And mine:cool:

And yours indeed. Thank you :)

One of the benefits of using an internet forum is that you occasionally bump into someone who knows what they are talking about, thus removing the need to rely upon supposition and prejudice.
[huffy-puffy]I'm not prejudiced[/huffy-puffy] :D

I'll admit to a little bias, half-for the sake of banter and half-out of (many, many) first hand experiences...but I live by the principle that only idiots never change their mind ;)

It's heartening to learn about this gradual professionalisation of the teaching function. I had good and bad teachers, like everybody else I'm sure. The bad ones were so through lack of pedagogy first and foremost, and should have been pushed out decades before I, and many others, sufferred them. The best ones were Jesuits, with a work ethic that would make even City types faint, and a very rational approach to homework, grades, progress support etc. (I'm sure I don't need to explain Jesuit 'teaching methods' to you...basically, it's "academic boot camp", with a healthy dose of "Real Life"-like pedagogy, wherein 'being best' means you have much to lose, and 'being worst' means you try your damn hardest not to be and to let someone else be worst in your stead).

It is paid holiday ... as per the terms and conditions offered on commencing employment as a teacher.

The training takes place in the week removed from said holiday entitlement as explained by Sibon above and numerous other people on previous threads.

The kids get 13 weeks holiday a year. Previously the teachers did too. Now the kids still get 13 weeks but the teachers get 12.

This is the equivalent of , for instance, somebody coming along and removing 2 days from the average person's 25 day entitlement and insisting that they go to work and train on those days.

Obviously you are a better teacher than the rest as I can understand what you have put. ;)

Somehow I had assumed that during that time the teacher undertook some form of extra training. As this is a long time away from school wouldn't it be better to have a full weeks training or more instead of various days littered about. Perhaps 4 weeks paid holiday and one week basic training and then one week for skills training.

If you really are dreaming of that holiday entitlement, feel free to apply for a post.

Do be ready to work 60 to 70 hour weeks when you aren't on holiday... and do be prepared to be everybody's whipping boy.

When I work 60 -70 hours a week, I don't get much time to spend posting on here let alone moderate, lot's of people do long hours without the bonus of 13 weeks holiday, striking will get teachers very little sympathy IMHO !

When I work 60 -70 hours a week, I don't get much time to spend posting on here let alone moderate, lot's of people do long hours without the bonus of 13 weeks holiday, striking will get teachers very little sympathy IMHO !

Me neither. If you look at my post history, you will see that most of my posting takes place between 8 and 12pm. I tend to intersperse a bit of marking/planning and a bit of forumming. My post count tends to increase at about 11, because I'm usually done by then.

Not looking for sympathy by the way. How could I when you balance long hours with long holidays.

[huffy-puffy]I'm not prejudiced[/huffy-puffy] :D

I'll admit to a little bias, half-for the sake of banter and half-out of (many, many) first hand experiences...but I live by the principle that only idiots never change their mind ;)

It's heartening to learn about this gradual professionalisation of the teaching function. I had good and bad teachers, like everybody else I'm sure. The bad ones were so through lack of pedagogy first and foremost, and should have been pushed out decades before I, and many others, sufferred them. The best ones were Jesuits, with a work ethic that would make even City types faint, and a very rational approach to homework, grades, progress support etc. (I'm sure I don't need to explain Jesuit 'teaching methods' to you...basically, it's "academic boot camp", with a healthy dose of "Real Life"-like pedagogy, wherein 'being best' means you have much to lose, and 'being worst' means you try your damn hardest not to be and to let someone else be worst in your stead).

Pleased you saw the light hearted jibe for what it was:)

I've extensive experience of Jesuits, they made me the man I am today... except for the atheist bit.:D Striving to be the best comes pretty naturally to me.

I'm interested in your opinion now. You must come across numerous well educated young folks. What skills do they need, that they don't already posess?

Me neither. If you look at my post history, you will see that most of my posting takes place between 8 and 12pm. I tend to intersperse a bit of marking/planning and a bit of forumming. My post count tends to increase at about 11, because I'm usually done by then.

Not looking for sympathy by the way. How could I when you balance long hours with long holidays.

I don't generally look at peoples post history sibon, but when most people mention long hours they are talking about being out of the house about 13 to 14 hours with 12 hours a day at their workplace, not the half hearted stuff teachers do at home :wink:

I don't generally look at peoples post history sibon, but when most people mention long hours they are talking about being out of the house about 13 to 14 hours with 12 hours a day at their workplace, not the half hearted stuff teachers do at home :wink:

That's part of the problem with the job. The boundaries between home and work get pretty blurred.

I know plenty of people who do half hearted shifts in their workplace, by the way, Not you, clearly. I'm sure that you have your shoulder to that wheel for 25 hours a day, 8 days a week.

Archived