Is it becoming commonplace to drive across crossing?

Like talking on mobiles whilst driving, tailgating. These things seem to be becoming the norm and no ones batting an eyelid.

Where I live there's 2 pelican crossing, times many I've been waiting to cross..(and this is a busy rd bus route, loads of shops, lots of old folks) twice in the last couple of days cars have driven over while I've waited to cross not even seeing me..:o

A couple of week ago someone got knocked down on one of the crossings, some stupid girl on her mobile...

I've never been sure if a driver should stop at a crossing if someone's waiting by law..?

I think (i could be wrong tho) from a legal point of view, a car only has to stop if a pedestrian has actually set foot on the crossing

I think that very recently the rules on this have changed, I believe cars should stop even before the pedestrian sets foot on the crossing.

To be clear on the types of crossing and what to do at each crossing read from the Highway Code- from section 18 onward.

Zebra Crossing:

The pedestrian must wait for the traffic to stop and it is expected that a vehicle stops when the driver sees the pedestrian waiting.

Pelican/ Tucan Crossings are controlled by lights which all users obey.

Archived