Immigration problem

But many of us aren't English, even though we are British our roots may not have started in England. My OH's family all live in Scotland, but his ancestry is English and Irish. Mine is mainly Scots, but I've lived in England for 2/3 of my life. There are lots of us who have contributed in one way or another to the UK economy, regardless of where we, or our parents came from.

I think we need to support those who need it most. Starting with young children.

Im not as English as Id like.... ( its that welsh and scottish grandparents ;) ) but Englishness is a characteristic, even st winston was half american

They are entitled to the same as the British when they get here, we are entitled to what they can claim if we go there, although the other link I posted suggests we can claim the British rate if we go there.

Says something interesting about the British mentality doesn't it? Feckless Bulgarians still have the gumption to come here, whilst our feckless own moan about it rather than appreciating they can go over there (or anyway within the EU) and do the same thing and perhaps even improve the quality of their lives.

Says something interesting about the British mentality doesn't it? Feckless Bulgarians still have the gumption to come here, whilst our feckless own moan about it rather than appreciating they can go over there (or anyway within the EU) and do the same thing and perhaps even improve the quality of their lives.

Maybe they don't want to go there because they like it here, but would like more if the country wasn't so full.:roll:

What I don't understand about immigration is, English people don't really integrate with these visitors to our country, there are colonies around Sheffield, communities are cut off from the real world almost and are living in there own mini area, is this for the good, I think not ???

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Just look at the number of mixed race kids there are in this country compared to say, thirty years ago - if that's not a sign of integration I don't know what is.

Loads of people work with colleagues who are immigrants or the sons and daughters of immigrants.

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Just look at the number of mixed race kids there are in this country compared to say, thirty years ago - if that's not a sign of integration I don't know what is.

Loads of people work with colleagues who are immigrants or the sons and daughters of immigrants.

Of course they do but generally there are certain areas which are popping up with generally foreign folk, more work needs to be done to get English people to mix with these foreigners.

You have no choice to work with someone be it where ever they are from, but people are choosing to live in certain areas where they feel comfortable with there own people.

How many white people do you see with say, Somalians, Pakistanis, Bengalis, Indians, Afghanistanians, Iranians, Iraqis, Yemenise etc etc etc ???

Seriously hardly any...

Maybe they don't want to go there because they like it here, but would like more if the country wasn't so full.:roll:

Slightly establishes my point, the country is what you make, if they were so grievously upset by things here, they'd stop whining and adopt some of the pioneering spirit of the immigrants who leave their native lands and families behind and their forebears who left these shores to better themselves.

Of course they do but generally there are certain areas which are popping up with generally foreign folk, more work needs to be done to get English people to mix with these foreigners.

You have no choice to work with someone be it where ever they are from, but people are choosing to live in certain areas where they feel comfortable with there own people.

How many white people do you see with say, Somalians, Pakistanis, Bengalis, Indians, Afghanistanians, Iranians, Iraqis, Yemenise etc etc etc ???

Seriously hardly any...

That's an interesting perspective you put on the 'problem' Corkers. It's usual when discussing integration to blame immigrants for not integrating with the world around them, rather than the other way round, I've always believed it's a two way street, and my experience of immigrants is based on my encounters with them.

When you dig a little deeper I've found that they're generally just like us..they have ambition, want a peaceful life, successful children to get on with their neighbours. That's of course not to say they don't have their own delinquents, extremists and general arses within their communities.

I don't know how old you are Corkers, but people of my generation probably find it more difficult to integrate than the younger ones, but I view that as my shortcoming, not the immigrants. I'm often mildy surprised when I hear my youngest mention a foreign name when referring to his schoolmates..to people of his generation it's perfectly normal, it isn't always complimentary but nor are his references to all his British cohorts either.

Archived