Woodhouse Village 1940's thru to the 60's/70's - don't let the history die

Linnet

The first cafe with a juke box arrived late 50's and did we think we had arrived!

Opposite the Royal anybody remember?

I remember the little cafe opposite the Royal. It was owned by Mrs Gladys Myers and it got chocka block full of teenagers in fact it was so tiny sometimes you had to wait outside for someone to come out before you could get in. We listened to the records on the big Juke Box paying 6d a time. one of the songs that was popular then was "When" sung by the Kalin Twins and of course Elvis was really popular. Mrs Myers also used to own and work in the sweet shop at the front of the Palace Cinema and when the cinema closed she then opened the cafe.

Edited by crustybread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Although I lived on the Manor, I spent every holiday at my Grandma's house on John Calvert Road.When I got married in 1961 we lived on Greengate Lane for a number of years. If you walked from our house, past Bill Varley,s barber shop and Foxes butchers at the other end.Cross over and past Horace Maw coal man.

Further on and there was Cooks pet food supplies on the left, then a gateway which was the entrance to Keetons joiners and funeral directors , the house they lived in is still across the road just behind the bus stop. Carry on and you would pass a yard on the left (was it Navva yard?) .Then past Crosslands paper shop.After the row of shops was Annie and Horace Mason's small sweet shop on the site of the Jobcentre. Across the road was a chemist next to the George,next door wasAudrey,s fruit shop then Winnie Camden,s dress shop. Further round was the Cross Daggers pub which was run by Fred Hobson ,the beer coming straight from the barrel into am enamel jug and then into your pint pot.

I hope that this stirs a few memories and please correct me if I have made a mistake, because time dulls the memory a bit.:D

Thank you bladebeer for the tour - Winnie Camden's Dress Shop - I can remember my sister taking me in there to buy some 'emerald' earrings for our Mom's birthday.

Was the Palace Picture House still there with Murfins next door when you moved into Woodhouse.

If its the same Linda my wife went St Pauls school with she lives just off Eastbank Rd

Thank you bladebeer for the tour - Winnie Camden's Dress Shop - I can remember my sister taking me in there to buy some 'emerald' earrings for our Mom's birthday.

Was the Palace Picture House still there with Murfins next door when you moved into Woodhouse.

Was Murfins a drapery, I recall the name.The cinema was there ,but it was closed.there was a sweet shop to the left of the entrance and I think Fox,s drapers to the right when they moved up there from Beighton Road.Then there was Billy Dickinsons at one side.For me they were better quieter times. My cousins in laws were the landlords at the Royal (Tom and Margaret) who were preceded by an Irish bloke (Paul) .We once went in and his wife was washing her feet ,sitting on the bar with a bowl on a stool.Not the most hygienic lady to put it mildly

Yes there was a drapers right of the picture house but I am getting my wires crossed Murfins originally used to be on Sheffield Road then moved to new premises next to Andersons - now the Housing place.

Loved the story re: the feet in the bowl! Sophisticated Woodhouse hey?

I must have just missed you - I was there 57 - 63, had a couple of years at Beaver Hill then on to CTS/Ashleigh.

Like you I was at west end '56 to '62 , then Beaver hill in Richardsons class , he lived in the corner Council house opposite the West end Club ,the to the Building Department of the Central Tech. in 1963.:cool: