Woodhouse Village 1940's thru to the 60's/70's - don't let the history die

Linnet

Although from Swallownest before moving to Driffield and then Malaysia this thread brings back a lot of nostalgia.

I remember Winnie Camden quite well. Her husband was Bill Fathers who was works manager at Cocker Brothers Springs, Attercliffe opposite the non Political Club

Next door was G.L.Curr and Son, my uncle being George Junior and his son Derek. My father was the adopted son who ran and built up the side of radio, tv, cycles etc - people will remember him - Victor Hutchinson, originally from Sheffield Road.

I think Bill White's was the Chemists shop.

I also remember that in a building in the area above the lower level toilets there was a guy running a hot dinners service for a while - may have been around late 1940's or 1950 - I think his name was Josh Dyson, known as Dinners Dyson. Cliff Watson had the garage higher up the village.

My mothers younger sister married a well known Woodhouse guy about 1940. His name Ken Brooks, lived on Balmoral Road with his parents Florry and Willy Brooks. Just below Jim Maxfields house. Same yard was Trvor Finlay and his parents. Later Ken and Hilda moved onto Beighton road and lived above and behind Morris's furniture shop - until about 1951. Next shop, on the corner was Fox's butchers and at the other end Whinfeys veg shop on the corner with Balmoral Road

Until my wife and I left for Driffield we frequented the Station Hotel - run by Peter and Kath Hollis.

Just a few of my immediate memories

Best Wishes - Woodhouse - Victor - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

Although from Swallownest before moving to Driffield and then Malaysia this thread brings back a lot of nostalgia.

I remember Winnie Camden quite well. Her husband was Bill Fathers who was works manager at Cocker Brothers Springs, Attercliffe opposite the non Political Club

Next door was G.L.Curr and Son, my uncle being George Junior and his son Derek. My father was the adopted son who ran and built up the side of radio, tv, cycles etc - people will remember him - Victor Hutchinson, originally from Sheffield Road.

I think Bill White's was the Chemists shop.

I also remember that in a building in the area above the lower level toilets there was a guy running a hot dinners service for a while - may have been around late 1940's or 1950 - I think his name was Josh Dyson, known as Dinners Dyson. Cliff Watson had the garage higher up the village.

My mothers younger sister married a well known Woodhouse guy about 1940. His name Ken Brooks, lived on Balmoral Road with his parents Florry and Willy Brooks. Just below Jim Maxfields house. Same yard was Trvor Finlay and his parents. Later Ken and Hilda moved onto Beighton road and lived above and behind Morris's furniture shop - until about 1951. Next shop, on the corner was Fox's butchers and at the other end Whinfeys veg shop on the corner with Balmoral Road

Until my wife and I left for Driffield we frequented the Station Hotel - run by Peter and Kath Hollis.

Just a few of my immediate memories

Best Wishes - Woodhouse - Victor - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

Trevor Finlay and his dad had a betting shop on the corner of Tilford Road and Station Road.I still see Trevor sometimes, top bloke although like all of us he is getting on a bit (or a lot):D

Good Afternoon Bladebeer

When you next see Trevor please remember me to him and remind him of the days as a young lad when he spent hours in their yard kicking a ball around with my younger cousin Michael Brooks.

Yes I remember Trevors dad opening the betting shop, and also later when Trevor ran it. As you say we are all getting older, and Trevor will be a bit older than my 74.1/2

I used to go in the pub on the corner some times with my dad. He had a few friends who went there, but the only ones I remember were Frank Nixon, who was my dads age and an older guy who I got to know very well - Jack Crooks who had his workshop at the top of Beaver Hill Road - at that time he was always in there with his dog - I think the dog used to have an ashtray full of beer

Many years ago now ............. Best Regards from Malaysia - It Ain't 'Alf 'Ot Mum - about average for this cooler time of year - only 93 degrees bright blue sky and hot sun (and petrol UK Pounds 1-50 gallon)

Good Afternoon Bladebeer

When you next see Trevor please remember me to him and remind him of the days as a young lad when he spent hours in their yard kicking a ball around with my younger cousin Michael Brooks.

Yes I remember Trevors dad opening the betting shop, and also later when Trevor ran it. As you say we are all getting older, and Trevor will be a bit older than my 74.1/2

I used to go in the pub on the corner some times with my dad. He had a few friends who went there, but the only ones I remember were Frank Nixon, who was my dads age and an older guy who I got to know very well - Jack Crooks who had his workshop at the top of Beaver Hill Road - at that time he was always in there with his dog - I think the dog used to have an ashtray full of b

Many years ago now ............. Best Regards from Malaysia - It Ain't 'Alf 'Ot Mum - about average for this cooler time of year - only 93 degrees bright blue sky and hot sun (and petrol UK Pounds 1-50 gallon)

'

Hello Victor, at the minute, 5 degrees but sunny, petrol dropped to about £1 a litre.I remember the workshop on Beaver Hill Road.I have spent many hours in the pub on the corner which was the Brunswick Hotel.I played football for them and then when the legs started wobbling I played darts for them . I am 74 1/2 although mentally I still feel 40. The years pass so quickly, but I think That we lived through the better years because modern Woodhouse is no where near as good as the old one.Good luck

• 5 months later...

My dad rented part of Jack Crook's workshop when I was young. I remember Jack showing me how to make an iron scroll for a gate (I was about 12 I'm now 40 years older). He told me stories about when he was an apprentice blacksmith repairing cannons in the war (Must have been 1st world war)

I've been looking for inspiration for a biographical folk song to preserve some memories of interesting characters and he seems a good candidate. Does anyone remember him or know his family?

Mmmm Jack Crooks - brings back memories to me - I am almost 75 now and remember Jack very well. As a child I used to go there with my Dad when he needed any welding or brazing doing. His place was at the top of Beaver Hill Road. I seem to recall he had a daughter. Most nights he would walk down to the Brunswick taking his dog. The dog used to have beer in an ashtray. Nice guy, also used to shoe horses some times, but mainly as he got older he concentrated on wrought iron work. Sadly missed - a gentleman

Victor Hutchinson - Subang Jaya, Malaysia