Stoptober smoking campaign. Will you stop?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19506327

For too long now, smokers have had to pay too much tax to look after their non-smoking brethren. The ones who live longer and pay little tax, who live long enough to claim pensions and drain the NHS in their old age.

Enough is enough.

The government wants smokers to reduce their tax burden. It wants people to pay 0 DUTY upon fags and baccy in October.

Smokers across England are being urged to quit for a month in a government campaign.

Abstain from smoking UK DUTY paid ciggies for one month come October, get nicotine drugs for free on the NHS and reduce your tax burden.

If enough people stop paying tax for one month, the government will be forced to reduce salaries for overpaid council employees, or introduce a poll tax and make non-smokers pay their fair share of tax.

What do you think?

The link doesn't mention tax at all to anyone who can't be assed to read it before replying! Its just the quitting/health/cancer/NHS stuff.

Can the government really afford everyone to quit for a month?? They reckon if you don't smoke for a whole month, you're much less likely to start again... What if everyone stops forever? They're meant to be skint aren't they?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

So the government is having a big (expensive) drive to stop people smoking for a month. Are you an addict? Are you one of those people that could stop but can't be bothered? What is your excuse for killing yourself slowly?

My wife stopped as it was unhealthy and getting expensive. Shes quit 7 years now. However I wouldnt stop something because the government told me to. People dont exactly trust this government so are more likely to do the opposite.

I remember an advert the government did a while back about know your numbers for alcohol consumption. It was designed to reduce drinking. However while me and the OH were watching it seeing the crisp pint with the frothy number and the crisp glass of wine. We ended up wanting a beer and going to the pub :). So the government campaings are not really that good.

My wife stopped as it was unhealthy and getting expensive. Shes quit 7 years now. However I wouldnt stop something because the government told me to. People dont exactly trust this government so are more likely to do the opposite.

I remember an advert the government did a while back about know your numbers for alcohol consumption. It was designed to reduce drinking. However while me and the OH were watching it seeing the crisp pint with the frothy number and the crisp glass of wine. We ended up wanting a beer and going to the pub :). So the government campaings are not really that good.

I went to the pub too. When I saw that and smoked some cigs in the bar!:D

Archived