Stoptober smoking campaign. Will you stop?

No its just protesting about the government lecturing us on how to live our lives. Actually Labour were worse than the tories with this.

I've lost track of the amount of cancer causing things there are out there. Everytime I pick up a newspaper something new causes cancer. Labour were even at one point trying to stop people smacking children.

Agreed with all that to be honest. I think it was an anti tory rant, this this is something all government are guilty of. I think there is higher priority that worrying too much about fags and booze right now. Get the revenue from tax and worry about it when the economy is in better shape!

I stopped smoking two years ago and no longer have any desire to smoke. I may start again however just for October just to spite the tories.

No its just protesting about the government lecturing us on how to live our lives. Actually Labour were worse than the tories with this.

I've lost track of the amount of cancer causing things there are out there. Everytime I pick up a newspaper something new causes cancer. Labour were even at one point trying to stop people smacking children.

The campaign is being run by the Department of Health, supported by British Heart Foundation and Cancer Research. The DoH is in charge of the NHS. It's amazing how small-minded some people are. The government tries to do something to prevent cancer and it becomes a Labour vs Tory issue when in fact it's an NHS issue. I can imagine a government opening a new NHS hospital in Sheffield and some people on here saying they'd rather die than use it just because they don't like that particular government.

Load of tosh, people will only stop, if they want to, just another PR stunt, aimed at health of people. I'm okay with it as long as people also shut up their cars in the garage for a month, they damage the air more than smokers.

While I appreciate its not healthy, what about all the people that get cancer, heart problems & NEVER smoked, and don't blame passive smoking either.

Load of tosh, people will only stop, if they want to, just another PR stunt, aimed at health of people. I'm okay with it as long as people also shut up their cars in the garage for a month, they damage the air more than smokers.

While I appreciate its not healthy, what about all the people that get cancer, heart problems & NEVER smoked, and don't blame passive smoking either.

People who smoke die......people who do not smoke die. ;)
Yep - for all the advances in medical science, life is stil 100% fatal..;)

I had the best dad in the world. He smoked 30-40 a day. I watched him die a horrible, painful, lingering death from lung cancer at 47. His brother Sydney never smoked but liked a pint. Last year Sydney died in his sleep at 88. Enough said.

Archived