Will Cameron ever be as good as Thatcher!

MrNM

I was replying to what I quoted in your post.

So who's been propping up some of the banks over the last few years?

A different situation as the banks have not been nationalised and what has happened is not a permanent situation. As far as I'm aware the banks have effectively been loaned the money which makes a big difference as it has to be paid back.

Its the same with the EU bank bailout money to various countries.

A different situation as the banks have not been nationalised and what has happened is not a permanent situation. As far as I'm aware the banks have effectively been loaned the money which makes a big difference as it has to be paid back.

So they've been propped up by the state is what you're saying?

RBS is 82% owned by the taxpayer. The 82% stake is owned and managed by UK Financial Investments Limited, set up by the previous government.

Not really a temporary situation that can be undone by paying back some loans. Even if it could be undone in that way RBS doesn't have the money. It's not solvent by the looks of things.

It's a problem a lot of countries face like you say.

First thing is what manufacturing we have is reasonably healthy (given the circumstances) and productive. There's just not enough of it.

We need to avoid competing with low wage economies on mass volume products. They'll wipe the floor with us. Instead we need to focus on niche and higher value maunfacturing. This requires investment, R&D, infrastructure, better integration between the academic world and business, getting kids interested in science/maths at uni again, better business education at uni, attracting investment from overseas, a tax regime that awards innovators etc... The government is already doing some of this but it just needs to do it in a more serious joined-up way. It may cost money at first but if done right there should be long-term benefits.

I can’t disagree with any of that but I feel the bold bit needs doing first and may take many years before we have the skilled staff for the rest of the plan.

<...> a tax regime that awards innovators <...>
Done. At (long) last. Google 'patent box' (UK search).

Will start on 01 April 2013, with the full benefit within 4 years. Corporation tax rate better than halved under the regime, provided the IP (and commercial activities based on same) qualifies.

You can thank Cable, Cameron and Osbourne for that final furlong. The draft regime had been in the Treasury's "dusty cardboard box" for over a decade.

A lot of the rest (of your wishlist) is coming and in keeping with the above, but it's taking a bit of a while to come through.

RBS is 82% owned by the taxpayer. The 82% stake is owned and managed by UK Financial Investments Limited, set up by the previous government.

Not really a temporary situation that can be undone by paying back some loans. Even if it could be undone in that way RBS doesn't have the money. It's not solvent by the looks of things.

I thought that RBS had already paid some of that money back?

I can’t disagree with any of that but I feel the bold bit needs doing first and may take many years before we have the skilled staff for the rest of the plan.

Absolutely, it'll take ages. It requires a long-term strategy agreed to by all parties and implemented across many parliaments. I doubt there's any appetite for it though because despite the partys' similarities certain things are always going to be political footballs, there to be tinkered with and changed every parliament. It's a disgrace really - certain things of national importance should be subject to some kind of transparent strategic plan that we all understand.

Why don't we know what transport policy will be in 3 years, let alone 10. Same for industry. Same for benefits. Same for education. Same for everything.

Archived