Anti-smoking campaigner cyclist outside the Crucible snooker 1980s/90s

Bilge

Remember the bloke who used to have a big anti-smoking banner attached to a long tandem every year at the Snooker world championship? It was when Embassy Fags were the sponsors. I dimly remember him parking it against the crucible wall facing Arundel Gate so it was very visible. It may have said simply 'Smoking Kills' or similar. He was there year after year and in the end he was successful! Peaceful effective protest. Well done mate.

Wonder what happened to him, was he from Sheffield or did he just visit once a year for the snooker?

Remember the bloke who used to have a big anti-smoking banner attached to a long tandem every year at the Snooker world championship? It was when Embassy Fags were the sponsors. I dimly remember him parking it against the crucible wall facing Arundel Gate so it was very visible. It may have said simply 'Smoking Kills' or similar. He was there year after year and in the end he was successful! Peaceful effective protest. Well done mate.

Wonder what happened to him, was he from Sheffield or did he just visit once a year for the snooker?

His name was John and he did not come from Sheffield. His wife had died from smoking related disease so he spent his life demonstrating outside any public gathering, party conferences, TUC, and especially those sponsored by tobacco firms, such as the snooker at The Crucible. He lived on handouts. I once gave him a fiver and asked how long it would last him, he said about 10 days! He died some years ago.

His name was John and he did not come from Sheffield. His wife had died from smoking related disease so he spent his life demonstrating outside any public gathering, party conferences, TUC, and especially those sponsored by tobacco firms, such as the snooker at The Crucible. He lived on handouts. I once gave him a fiver and asked how long it would last him, he said about 10 days! He died some years ago.

Thanks, good to know a bit more about him. It wasn't as easy being anti-smoking back then when everyone seemed to do it.

Good work John.

Archived