Toyota Avensis 1.8 problem or not ?

Trying to buy a Toyota avensis 1.8 drove a few and the gears to me seem clunky ?? ie you can sort of feel the teeth as you put it in gear ,but changes ok is this normal ? or is it a clutch fault ? a gear box fault ? any help appreciated thanks

Trying to buy a Toyota avensis 1.8 drove a few and the gears to me seem clunky ?? ie you can sort of feel the teeth as you put it in gear ,but changes ok is this normal ? or is it a clutch fault ? a gear box fault ? any help appreciated thanks

You shouldn't be feeling a clunk so I would be aware, which avensis are you looking at?

The petrol ones upto 2000 without the vvti engine were spot on, the vvti engined ones drink oil.

The d4d diesel ones are the ones to go for, superb mpg and my mates got a 2003 one with 280k on the clock and still going strong.

thanks for the responce but driven many cars in 30 yrs so happy with the clutch difficult to explain but if i push clutch down in other cars i could change the gears with 1 finger gears slip in no pressure ..on the avensis i tried there was more resistance and you xould feel the gear cogs engage if make sense ..like there was no oil in box ??? car drove ok and clutch did not appear to slip all gears to me felt the same cheers db

You shouldn't be feeling a clunk so I would be aware, which avensis are you looking at?

The petrol ones upto 2000 without the vvti engine were spot on, the vvti engined ones drink oil.

The d4d diesel ones are the ones to go for, superb mpg and my mates got a 2003 one with 280k on the clock and still going strong.

I certainly agree with Mafya and can tell this is not just his personal opinion. The Toyotas with the D4D engine are the ones to go for. The taxi guys go for the Avensis with these diesel engines in them. I recently bought a Corolla on the strength of the engine type, D4D (2LT diesel). Renowned reliability when serviced properly. The D4D is also available in 2.2 LT but more expensive to run all round than the 2 LT.

Toyota also put the D4D in the Previa people carrier.

Archived