Social etiquette. What type of person are you?

The other day at work we were all watching the paralympics coverage during our dinner break when one of my work colleagues, who is a bit of an idiot tbo, started mouthing off about how the whole thing, the main olympics and the paralympics and all the stadiums and olympic park etc, was all a big waste of time and money because as soon as its all finished practically all of the infrastructure for the olympics will be dismantled; this isn't exactly true of course but rather than correct him in front of everyone and either irritate or embarrass him - or both, I just let him carry on talking crap, after all, what does it matter to me, its not worth causing a schism over, I thought. Someone else though did feel the need to contradict him, and did so in front of everyone, which created one of those The Office-esque cringeworthy moments.

Are you type to let people talk crap and be wrong(when it doesn't matter) to spare their blushes, or do you put them straight even it embarrasses them?

I like the term 'The Office - esque'. I'm certain that Ricky Gervais (sp?) modelled the character of David Brent on a former boss of mine.

it would depend whether what the person was saying was going to mislead, endanger or disadvantage the audience in some way.

I've come across this quite a lot in business. Sometimes it's better to just ignore it at the time, if it's doing no harm to anyone, and let people make their own minds up about it. But sometimes such forthright opinions can be very unhelpful and I would have a 3 step approach:

1 Politely interject and do the old..."yes, I know why you are saying that but..." and hope they take the hint and button it!

2 Firmly interject and give a defnitive statement to the contrary.

3 Beat them around the head with a fresh trout.

• 1 year later...

As a man, if you were greeting, or being greeted by, two women, would you compliment only one and not the other?? I've been watching some of the X Factor on TV (yeah I know), which has Mel B and Cheryl Cole on the panel, both very attractive women, but a lot of the male contestants just compliment Cheryl and ignore Mel. What a crass social fopar.

As a man, if you were greeting, or being greeted by, two women, would you compliment only one and not the other?? I've been watching some of the X Factor on TV (yeah I know), which has Mel B and Cheryl Cole on the panel, both very attractive women, but a lot of the male contestants just compliment Cheryl and ignore Mel. What a crass social fopar.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived