Why do you believe in God or a creator ?

It's perfectly possible to believe in a creator God and accept evolution as fact.

It's very difficult to fit a caring loving God into that gap though. You can definitely believe he created life, but then to think that human beings are special in his eyes ignores the rest of evolution.

I'm of the firm belief that Darwin was the biggest attack upon faith in the history of humanity. He pointed out that we're not special, and that we're not the centre of someone's plan. We're just another species out of many, who may or may not be around in the future.

Most people who believe in God do so because they have been brainwashed from birth. I was baptised, sent to Sunday school and church and confirmed (C of E). It is the same in all religions - drilled in to you . It is hard to abandon it till you realise that everyone has been lying to you because they had it drilled into them. My children where brought up as atheists.

Most people who believe in God do so because they have been brainwashed from birth. I was baptised, sent to Sunday school and church and confirmed (C of E). It is the same in all religions - drilled in to you . It is hard to abandon it till you realise that everyone has been lying to you because they had it drilled into them. My children where brought up as atheists.

You must be one of those shrill militant atheists then. :hihi:

When my kids asked me about god, my reply was always "some people think this, and some people think that, I think none, but nobody knows so it's up to you to decide what you think".

They were definitely born atheist though.

Fascinating I'm sure, but I'm not sure it's relevant. It's perfectly possible to believe in a creator God and accept evolution as fact.

Its relevant because its already been talked about on the topic.

Its relevant because it demonstrates that species can adapt and change.

Its relevant because it shows that if we were created, we was created in a way that would deliberately leave us susceptible to suffering.

I love my Kids and if it was possible I would have created them perfect and impervious to disease, clearly to create them intentionally in way that would leave them susceptible to suffering wouldn’t demonstrate much love for them.

Its relevant because its already been talked about on the topic.

Its relevant because it demonstrates that species can adapt and change.

Its relevant because it shows that if we were created, we was created in a way that would deliberately leave us susceptible to suffering.

I love my Kids and if it was possible I would have created them perfect and impervious to disease, clearly to create them intentionally in way that would leave them susceptible to suffering wouldn’t demonstrate much love for them.

To play devil's advocate; the usual theodicy is to say that we're too finite and mortal to understand the long term moral trade-offs that God decides on - a child dies in poverty here; two hundred years later twenty souls are saved for all eternity AND the dead child gets a free pass into heaven anyway!

What believers fail to realise is that if there is a god, and if that god's morality is ineffable from a human perspective, then we have no way of knowing whether that god is 'good' or 'evil' - assuming we can even decide on useful definitions of such terms. So, a god might allow a child to die horribly just because he likes to watch suffering, or he might have some greater good in mind; we have no way of knowing.

Why do you believe in God ,you could be of any religion or faith , for what reason did you come to have that faith or what makes you believe in God ?

for me it is everything you see around you ie/ from flowers to the universe , the earth and how finely tuned it is with a protective shield , a water cycle ,Photosynthesis, the air we breath , nature etc these cause me to believe someone must have designed them . also the human mind how we have a capability to think beyond what we see , think beyond death and even think about this subject .

No, I lack the belief in any gods. I'd be absolutely fascinated to see conclusive evidence that my lack of belief is an oversight on my part. Could you provide something more specific than "Look at the birds and the trees, etc."?

*Waits hopefully and patiently*

Why do you believe in God ,you could be of any religion or faith , for what reason did you come to have that faith or what makes you believe in God ?

I've never had a reason to believe in any of the old or newer gods, therefore I don't have a belief in any. I am always curious as to why some people do though and have asked your question many times before. So far, the majority of answers seem to be either that they can't accept there is no God/gods (not actually a reason in itself) or like your own...

for me it is everything you see around you ie/ from flowers to the universe , the earth and how finely tuned it is with a protective shield , a water cycle ,Photosynthesis, the air we breath , nature etc these cause me to believe someone must have designed them . also the human mind how we have a capability to think beyond what we see , think beyond death and even think about this subject .

...that stuff exists, so God must have created it. God must exist, or the stuff wouldn't exist.

Perfect circular logic, very unimpressive.

I've never felt the need to decide for myself on how everything came to be, but I don't think I'd jump to conclusions and give credit for existence to a being that I have no reason to believe exists him/her/itself.

Archived