Is 12 too young to get married?

Yes?

Then someone should tell this lot

The clerics were approached by man posing as the father of a 12-year-old who wanted her to marry to prevent her being tempted into a decadent Western lifestyle.

Imam Mohammed Kassamali, of the Husaini Islamic Centre in Peterborough, stressed the need for secrecy with such a ceremony.

He allegedly said: ‘If it (the marriage) was not possible, I would have told you straight away... I would love the girl to go to her husband’s houses (sic) as soon as possible, the younger the better.

Full story

Yes?

Then someone should tell this lot

The clerics were approached by man posing as the father of a 12-year-old who wanted her to marry to prevent her being tempted into a decadent Western lifestyle.

Imam Mohammed Kassamali, of the Husaini Islamic Centre in Peterborough, stressed the need for secrecy with such a ceremony.

He allegedly said: ‘If it (the marriage) was not possible, I would have told you straight away... I would love the girl to go to her husband’s houses (sic) as soon as possible, the younger the better.

Full story

It's obscene in the extreme. I'm puzzled why they worry about being 'Westernised'...That being the case, why are they here 'in the West'? It makes no sense to me!

It's obscene in the extreme. I'm puzzled why they worry about being 'Westernised'...That being the case, why are they here 'in the West'? It makes no sense to me!

I think this is the one brush coats all approach to social demographics, similar to the 'all immigrants are scroungers/criminals' argument.

The idiot making this daft statement about his daughter becoming 'westernized' is perhaps referring to the worst excesses of permissive behaviour which we all are concerned about, without any appreciation that it represents a relatively small element of Western society.

I think this is the one brush coats all approach to social demographics, similar to the 'all immigrants are scroungers/criminals' argument.

The idiot making this daft statement about his daughter becoming 'westernized' is perhaps referring to the worst excesses of permissive behaviour which we all are concerned about, without any appreciation that it represents a relatively small element of Western society.

No, no, I don't think that at all. It's just a tiny minority, very tiny in fact. I heard an Imman talking on TV the other day about someone in one of their schools being beaten, and subsequesntly arrested for cruelty to children he was teaching. The fella made absolutely perfect sense, in what he said about the behaviour of the individual who was caught red handed on film doing it. He said Islam and Muslims teach tolerance, and respect for others, and if this individual didn't follow that teaching, then he wasn't a Muslim, and roundly condemned the charged man.

It's just the radical few that try to poison others away from the true teachings of Islam.

Its a common view.....To be "westernized" is to get in bed with Satan himself...Not sure why you need to bring the "all immigrants are scroungers" into it though??

A lot of immigrants ARE scroungers...We all know that but WTF its got to do with tihs Im not sure....

Oh and yes I do vote Liberal, No I dont like foreigners coming here to milk our taxes and No I dont support the EDL......

we need to break the OP's question down really into:-

a) Is 12 too young to get married according to the UK's social norms?

to which the answer is of course, a resounding "YES!"

b) is it acceptable by the social norms of other countries?

Generally, the minimum age to marry without parental consent is eighteen, but can vary from 15 or so to 20/21

the lowest legal age for marriage varies from country to country, but in the EU, the rule of thumb is that it's 18 without, 16 with parental consent

In Canada, you can marry at 15, with judicial consent, and in the United States, there are many states where you can marry if you are under 16. You can marry at 14 in New Hampshire, whereas under the age of 15. in Arizona.

c) are all 12 year olds too young to marry?

I would say that it varies from individual to individual. I can think of some 20-odd year olds who could be considered still too young to marry!

Joking aside, I would, ideally wish to see both parties have finished at least secondary schooling, before undertaking such a huge decision.

It was common, in years gone by, when the lifespan was considerably shorter than it is now, for marriages to take place when the couples were very young (to 21st century eyes) Look at Romeo and Juliet:- Juliet was 13

juliet is "a fortnight and odd days" from her 14th birthday
and Romeo was about 15, and no-one quirked so much as an eyebrow at this famous tale. Catherine di Medici and her husband were both 14 when they married in 1533. Prince Arthur and Catherine of Aragon were 3 and 2 respectively when they were betrothed. they were fifteen when their marriage was made official.

No, no, I don't think that at all. It's just a tiny minority, very tiny in fact. I heard an Imman talking on TV the other day about someone in one of their schools being beaten, and subsequesntly arrested for cruelty to children he was teaching. The fella made absolutely perfect sense, in what he said about the behaviour of the individual who was caught red handed on film doing it. He said Islam and Muslims teach tolerance, and respect for others, and if this individual didn't follow that teaching, then he wasn't a Muslim, and roundly condemned the charged man.

It's just the radical few that try to poison others away from the true teachings of Islam.

good grief, someone posting a common-sense comment about Islam! Yaay! :thumbsup: !!

Apologises PeteMorris my post wasn't clear, I was reflecting on what the father in the OP was saying rather than what you were saying. I agree with your post btw.

Archived