Is 12 too young to get married?

I've some experience of this having adult and teenage children and the tabloid belief that all teenagers are feckless, anti social and lazy is not true.

The vast majority I know of are disciplined, polite and have aspirations, they also have an understanding of world affairs/poverty and have well developed social consciences..I've found this across the socio-economic groups.

Contrast that to my own youth where the major consideration was skivving school and having an unhealthy disrespect for authority.

i agree with you, but the tabloids are right but it obviously doesn't apply to all of our youth, some kids are great and others just aren't tbh.

and like i said above how i grew up is completely different to how kids are growing up now.

Mod Note

I did ask politely for a return to topic.

If you want to discuss other matters then start another thread, if you continue to make off topic posts then this thread will be closed.

Mod Note

I did ask politely for a return to topic.

If you want to discuss other matters then start another thread, if you continue to make off topic posts then this thread will be closed.

Please dont let the children spoil my perfectly good thread.

We all know that some of them are out to do that.

Why play into their hands?

Why not just ban them if they ignore your warnings?

Yes?

I'm staggered that you have such a scathing view about young English people. You use words like 'the majority'...'most'....I don't know what sort of circles you move in but I don't think it's the same as the rest of us!

I was thinking the same, I would hate to live where they live, it sounds a very unpleasant place. Thankfully round this area the good kids far out way the bad kids of all denominations, and the children having babies are thankfully only a very small minority.

Yes?

Then someone should tell this lot

The clerics were approached by man posing as the father of a 12-year-old who wanted her to marry to prevent her being tempted into a decadent Western lifestyle.

Imam Mohammed Kassamali, of the Husaini Islamic Centre in Peterborough, stressed the need for secrecy with such a ceremony.

He allegedly said: ‘If it (the marriage) was not possible, I would have told you straight away... I would love the girl to go to her husband’s houses (sic) as soon as possible, the younger the better.

Full story

Better remind everyone incase we get into trouble for going off topic.

explain to me my sad viewpoint on life please ...

I would, but Esme has warned about straying off topic, and it would be a shame to see the thread closed or deleted, in perpetuation of a tangential issue.

Back on topic:

I thought it bizarre that in the article, the Imman said that he would marry them (but secretly) only with the 12 year olds permission!

Is someone that age able to 'give permission?'....The whole premise of 12 year olds being married beggars belief!

Archived