Is 12 too young to get married?

Even if so, that's not the age at issue here.

A minor cannot usually consent to medical procedures. Yes, I know that contraceptive administrators choose to disregard that. For these purposes, however, 'minor' means someone aged under 16. As a consequence, such a minor cannot consent to sexual intercourse: the phrase applicable is 'statutory rape' [= where it would not have been rape had the participant reached 16 yrs. old]. Hence even a marriage validly contracted abroad would not be recognised by UK law if either/both of the parties were 15 or younger.

We don't have a crime called Statutory Rape here in the UK:- that's a US-ian term. What we do have in the UK, to protect Minors, is a crime called "Unlawful Sexual Conduct with a Minor" (If I remember the terms correctly) which can be anything from a "touching" to actual Sex.

You also seem to have the laws mixed up.

An <16 year old can consent to have sex, albeit that it's illegal. In UK law, it's written that a minor of under the age of 13 years is deemed to be incapable of being able to give their consent.

Well if the girl is 12 now, she has 5-6 years before she can legally get married in England. By then the law being passed by the current government will have become law and forced marriages will be illegal.

Or <4 years... 16 with parental consent...

Are you? Didn't look like it when you posted this.

I was referring to the UK based Muslim culture, as outlined in the OP, what Saudis do in Saudi is something I have no influence over, nor would I choose to travel there because of their views on women, religion and human rights generally.

lets split the two culture's english culture - asian culture..

asian culture- their are rules and you also better listen to you parents and do as your told, their children are not out causing problems for their neighbours and none of their daughters get pregnant at 14/15 and have to grow up a single parent. Their lives have structure and discipline and imo seem to be alot better obviously apart from some of the asian men that like hitting to incur discipline. look at how their children go to college and university and work hard and study to become something ( not saying their aren't english doing that but come on, our kids are way too interested in getting drunk from their student loans )

but all this is my opinion

Take a walk round Darnell and see if your opinion changes, groups of youths hanging around causing trouble. Not more than two weeks ago did they set fire to a police car. So while it is your opinion it's just wrong, British/Asian it's all the same some kids/youths are decent and some want locking up.

Also I'm quiet sure you will find teenage asian girls are pregnant and single. I watched midwives the other day and an Asian teen (ok 18.) was single and pregnant after shacking up with a polish guy for a few weeks.

we need to break the OP's question down really into:-

a) Is 12 too young to get married according to the UK's social norms?

to which the answer is of course, a resounding "YES!"

b) is it acceptable by the social norms of other countries?

Generally, the minimum age to marry without parental consent is eighteen, but can vary from 15 or so to 20/21

the lowest legal age for marriage varies from country to country, but in the EU, the rule of thumb is that it's 18 without, 16 with parental consent

In Canada, you can marry at 15, with judicial consent, and in the United States, there are many states where you can marry if you are under 16. You can marry at 14 in New Hampshire, whereas under the age of 15. in Arizona.

c) are all 12 year olds too young to marry?

I would say that it varies from individual to individual. I can think of some 20-odd year olds who could be considered still too young to marry!

Joking aside, I would, ideally wish to see both parties have finished at least secondary schooling, before undertaking such a huge decision.

It was common, in years gone by, when the lifespan was considerably shorter than it is now, for marriages to take place when the couples were very young (to 21st century eyes) Look at Romeo and Juliet:- Juliet was 13 and Romeo was about 15, and no-one quirked so much as an eyebrow at this famous tale. Catherine di Medici and her husband were both 14 when they married in 1533. Prince Arthur and Catherine of Aragon were 3 and 2 respectively when they were betrothed. they were fifteen when their marriage was made official.

it appears you have missed out the muslim countries from your post have you done this on purpose ?

Archived