'Smart' internet advertising. Does it work?

Yesterday, I bought some 'Crocs' on ebay. No problem. Now I'm bombarded with adverts on SF and just about every other web page advertising 'crocs'.

I've just bought some, I don't want any more!!! :rant:

Yes I know, it works on your cookies, and I could just clear the cookies, but I've bought other stuff on line before, and then I get the adverts...It's always 'after' I've already bought the said item....Too late!!!!

Has anyone actually clicked on one of these adverts and actually bought something?

From the perspective of someone who has used smart ads on their site, I made more revenue when I turned off the "smartness" and just served good old one size fits all ads. This confirmed (to me anyway) that people don't respond to smart ads as well as the traditional kind.

From the perspective of someone who has used smart ads on their site, I made more revenue when I turned off the "smartness" and just served good old one size fits all ads. This confirmed (to me anyway) that people don't respond to smart ads as well as the traditional kind.

Ah...So that just proves my point, to an extent. It's of no use whatsoever, in advertising to me something I've just bought! Ok, the smart thingy, probably wouldn't know that, but all the same it is irritating. Virtually every page I use here on SF there's a crocs advert, and I didn't even use this computer to buy them, so I'm not sure how that works!!!

Yesterday, I bought some 'Crocs' on ebay. No problem. Now I'm bombarded with adverts on SF and just about every other web page advertising 'crocs'.

I've just bought some, I don't want any more!!! :rant:

Yes I know, it works on your cookies, and I could just clear the cookies, but I've bought other stuff on line before, and then I get the adverts...It's always 'after' I've already bought the said item....Too late!!!!

Has anyone actually clicked on one of these adverts and actually bought something?

Use an add blocker if the adverts are bothering you.

I know some people find them quite intrusive.

Use an add blocker if the adverts are bothering you.

I know some people find them quite intrusive.

Well, I could I suppose, although it's frowned upon in the forum here for obvious reasons. But that's not the point. I don't mind the odd advert appearing (except when it takes an age to load, and therefore the page won't load), it's the after the event thing that winds me up a bit. It's really not that 'smart' an advert if you've already made a purchase! :)

I must admit that I never click on ads and don't get influenced by them.

Just one question, do smart internet ads only work on certain browsers or is it the same across the board?

Especially if you've only just bought the 'said' item!!! :hihi:

I don't know the answer about the differnt browsers I'm afraid!

Archived