Would you get dressed up for the opera / ballet?

A few years ago, me and my now-Husband had just started dating and I found out he liked classical music, so for his birthday I booked tickets for us to see La Boheme at City Hall. It was a bit of a gamble as I'd never been to an opera before and wasn't sure what to expect…to me these kinds of things were only for the posh, rather than someone like me who watches X-Factor and drinks pints. :hihi:

So, I got togged up in a smart black dress & heels and off we went, only to find about 90% of the audience in jeans. Most of the women did still look smart, but some of them looked like complete scruffs and one woman looked like she'd just finished a hike round the peak district (especially when she pulled a packed lunch out of her rucksack). I felt completely out of place and refused to take my jacket off for the whole performance…however I wasn't the only one caught out, a young girl (looked about 18-19) had turned up wearing a red satin gown and elbow length gloves!

We're now going to see Madame Butterfly in a few weeks and yep, this is my first ballet! This time I'll be wearing something a little more casual, but do you think these kinds of events are something you should get dressed up for or is that now a dated idea?

I loved La Boheme by the way, I thought it was beautiful! :love:

We went to London back in March for a special birthday treat which included going to the theatre to see War Horse....I had been shopping for ages for a suitable dressy but comfy outfit that I would be able to wear again. We don't go "out" much so didn't want to spend much on something that I might never bother with again. Well, when we got there I was shocked.....to say I felt over dressed would be an understatement. Wasn't even casual and smart in some instances. I chose smart black trousers and a floaty top and had been a bit worried that the trousers might not have been acceptable. Other half chose to wear a suit and felt the same. It seems it IS a dated idea now to get spruced up to go out or maybe if we went out more it wouldn't have been such a shock and we would have seen it coming. Anyway, I enjoyed it and I'm glad that WE made the effort.

I think it's because so many women wear trousers these days that they feel they've overdone things because they don't wear dresses too often.

I don't often go to the theatre these days either, but I would wear something arty and slightly flamboyant - the same as if I went to a pop concert - I like to dress up and it wouldn't worry me - do we all really want to look alike in jeans? Rather too uniform for my liking;)

A few years ago, me and my now-Husband had just started dating and I found out he liked classical music, so for his birthday I booked tickets for us to see La Boheme at City Hall. It was a bit of a gamble as I'd never been to an opera before and wasn't sure what to expect…to me these kinds of things were only for the posh, rather than someone like me who watches X-Factor and drinks pints. :hihi:

So, I got togged up in a smart black dress & heels and off we went, only to find about 90% of the audience in jeans. Most of the women did still look smart, but some of them looked like complete scruffs and one woman looked like she'd just finished a hike round the peak district (especially when she pulled a packed lunch out of her rucksack). I felt completely out of place and refused to take my jacket off for the whole performance…however I wasn't the only one caught out, a young girl (looked about 18-19) had turned up wearing a red satin gown and elbow length gloves!

We're now going to see Madame Butterfly in a few weeks and yep, this is my first ballet! This time I'll be wearing something a little more casual, but do you think these kinds of events are something you should get dressed up for or is that now a dated idea?

I loved La Boheme by the way, I thought it was beautiful! :love:

Personally i always dress up when I go out,moreso for evening events.When I go to see a concert by the Bolton Philharmonic or the Worksop String Sextet I would wear green tweed suit,but I dress down for the Leadmill usually getting by with a tie dye string vest or grandad shirt and a pair of Oxford bags.

I've only been to one ballet - went to see Dracula at The Lyceum. We didn't dress up - can't remember whether I wore jeans but I may have. Didn't feel under dressed.

I have been to other things though, just general shows, where I wore jeans and a casual shirt and I did feel under dressed. We don't go to the theatre anywhere near as much now as we used to but next time I go I'll probably wear trousers and a casual shirt. Would likely do similar if I went to the ballet again or an opera.

It depends on the location. I've been to the City Hall a few times and felt overdressed. But at the Bridgewater in Manchester just about everyone is suited or DJ'ed.

Yes, I wore a long dress last time I went - I think Joan Collins was in black and I was in silver;)

I do find it a bit strange that people don't want to make an effort for such events....personally I just love having an excuse to buy a new frock :D

Some people think wearing £100 jeans is making an effort.

I do agree though i have turned up at the lyceum in dress trousers and a shirt to find 70% in questionable attire.

Archived