Would you get dressed up for the opera / ballet?

I'd definitely get dressed up for the Rocky Horror show!

And personally I think the theatre and the cinema are worlds apart. I'm still very new to the whole theatre experience despite being in my 30's (shameful I know). When I was growing up, live entertainment consisted of listening to club singers in the local WMC and going to see a play was something only posh people did, so my perception of how it should be is very different to that of someone who sees the theatre as an everyday event. However I like my perception that it's something special and I feel lucky that I now get to enjoy such events :)

I wouldn't wear a frock to go to opera, ballet or a classical concert (unless it was a gala event or similar) but I also wouldn't wear jeans and scruffy stuff to a concert in a concert hall.

I've been to classical and opera in various outdoor settings where I've got very wet and cold watching, so I can tell you that most people only dress up for Glyndebourne, and quite a lot of the people at Glyndebourne get very cold and wet in their posh frocks!

I wouldn't wear a frock to go to opera, ballet or a classical concert (unless it was a gala event or similar) but I also wouldn't wear jeans and scruffy stuff to a concert in a concert hall.

I've been to classical and opera in various outdoor settings where I've got very wet and cold watching, so I can tell you that most people only dress up for Glyndebourne, and quite a lot of the people at Glyndebourne get very cold and wet in their posh frocks!

Ah well, If you're talking open air stuff, them glamming it up makes no sense! Personally I would be just smart casual. No jeans, cos no matter how much they cost, jeans are jeans!

The rocky horror show however, I'd 'really go for it'...The most bizarre thing I could find. The more extreme the better!....errrr...Does that make me a show-off or just 'game for a laugh?'

Archived