Fire in my flat - advice needed on replacing documents

Dear All

On 24.08.2012 I have had a fire in my flat as a result of an arson. My documents have burnt and now I need to replace the following:

1. Ukrainian Passport

2. My Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK

3. Certificates from my school and university in the UK

Please can someone advise me what to do and the fees for replacement of the Indefinite Leave to Remain. I have got colour photocopies of all the documents.

Also as I am not working at the moment can anyone give me advice of what help I can get from the government or anywhere else.

Regards,

Max

Dear All

On 24.08.2012 I have had a fire in my flat as a result of an arson. My documents have burnt and now I need to replace the following:

1. Ukrainian Passport

2. My Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK

3. Certificates from my school and university in the UK

Please can someone advise me what to do and the fees for replacement of the Indefinite Leave to Remain. I have got colour photocopies of all the documents.

Also as I am not working at the moment can anyone give me advice of what help I can get from the government or anywhere else.

Regards,

Max

1. Ask Ukranian Government.

2. Ask UK Home Office.

3. Ask each institution.

I guess that each can assist you, subject to you proving that you're who you claim to be (and maybe paying a fee).

Did you have contents insurance? If so, also contact the insurance company and ask for its guidance.

2. Ask UK Home Office.

3. Ask each institution.

I guess that each can assist you, subject to you proving that you're who you claim to be (and maybe paying a fee).

Did you have contents insurance? If so, also contact the insurance company and ask for its guidance.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said

2. Ask UK Home Office.

3. Ask each institution.

Unfortunately no contents insurance... I am trying to contact the Ukrainian Embassy and the relevant organisations. Thanks.

Unfortunately no contents insurance... I am trying to contact the Ukrainian Embassy and the relevant organisations. Thanks.

If the fire was provably arson, it's possible that other insurance claims might be available: the building/block policy, or the policy of another flat's leaseholder/tenant [if that was the source of the arson, rather than from outside].

Sorry to hear about this. I hope your story makes people think about where their own documents are and how difficult it could be to replace them.

Fireproof safes start at around £30 from Argos.

They arent fire proof.

They are fire resistant and not really very good.

Not even for the money.

If the fire was provably arson, it's possible that other insurance claims might be available: the building/block policy, or the policy of another flat's leaseholder/tenant [if that was the source of the arson, rather than from outside].

It is a council flat in a council building, the landlord is Sheffield Homes. Can you advise as the Council is not really helpful

Archived