Are there any repatriates here?

buck

I ask this question because when I emigrated to Canada in 1968 a great many people would take what came to be called the $1000 dollar cure.

A family would generally be supported by a single salary with the wife staying home. Buying a house wasn't too difficult unless you lived in Toronto, which then and now still is prohibitive. After a couple of years the wife would get uncontollably home sick,so the family would sell up and go home, only to regret the decision and start all over again.

I've known of this rotating several times before a final decision to stay put. One factor in favour of Canada would be that the children, growing up and enjoying the wide open spaces would refuse to go back to the old country.

I highlight Canada because it takes less time to fly from Eastern Canada than to take a train from Sheffield to Penzance, and because Canada is very tolerant of people who come back after insulting the country by leaving. No such tolerance exists in the US, if you get a green card then leave for over a year you have to reapply, and it will be much harder next time. I suspect that probably 15 percent of new Canadians

would repatriate at least once. We stuck it outbut it was touch and go for a time. I don't know about Aussie/NZ

Archived