Well done Andy Murray.

janie48

Scottish or British, I'm proud of his achievements.

But then again, I have a Scottish background, but I am English.

Massive well done to him, and what a final. Glad i stayed up to witness what will hopefully be the first grand slam of many.

I don't care what he's said about England before either, I don't particularly care for Wales much.... But I'd love to see them progress in a major sport.

Just a couple of posts from the wimbledon thread:

S2 blade: he is good .... but not great and never will be ! nothing to do with where he is born either just fed,nadal,djokovic will always be in the major finals to show him man vs boy !

Rickiethecat: Yes, well done to Murray on reaching the Wimbledon final without beating a single decent opponent.

Honestly, people are so naive sometimes. For years the Wimbledon organisers have been fixing the draw to ensure British players get as easy a ride as possible - why do you think mummy's boy Henman reached so many semi finals? They know that public interest (and thus ticket sales and TV coverage) will only last as long as a British player remains in the contest.

This year for example, the draw was fixed to ensure Murray couldn't meet either Federer or Djokovic before the final, so once Nadal got knocked out, Murray couldn't have had an easier run than if he'd been asked to play against one of the ball boys.

To be a truly great sportsman you have to play against and beat the best. Murray can't do that.

Six45ive: Unfortunately Murray is living in an era where we have the most natural and best tennis player that there's ever been (Federer) and a couple of very good, strong autonomons in Djorkovic and Nadal. Murray has more natural talent than either of Federer's also rans but he lacks the physical strength and stamina and mental strength/aptitude combined with poor decision making.

Personally I think it's highly unlikely that Murray will ever win one of the big four and if he does it will be because the other 3 are either injured, ill or have other priorities in their lives which has been Federer's situation for the last couple of years. The way Federer demolished Djorkovic and then did the same to Murray after a nervous first set shows that nobody is anywhere near him when he's on grass and at his best.

cant understand all this thing about we should support him in england because he's british. go into any pub tonight in glasgow and see who they are supporting in the england football game and tell them they should support us because were british.

No one is asking you to support him. People who enjoy tennis are pleased because at long last someone from the UK has won a grand slam. I think that's fairly obvious from most of the comments. And, its not as if he was in competition against anyone from England. :o

Football attracts very different responses to most other sports. How do you expect people in Scotland to support England when they are in competition with them? Wednesday and United fans don't support the other team if theirs isn't playing, and they are in the same city!

Now, lets get back to the grand slam victory.

Well done to the lad, but he now has to go on and follow up his us open win with several more majors.

I was reading the daily mail article about his win, he's set to make £100 million. Sure he will bank a nice chunk of change off this win, not quite sure 1 major win will = £100 million pay day.

Archived