Well done Andy Murray.

janie48

Andy Murray a scot who hates the English. No excuses I saw the original football interview and he meant it. Always venjoy seeing him lose. I like to see other non bigoted scots win but not this .

Stop being so touchy, it's alright for people from other countries to make jokes out of us English; after all we spend a lot of our time making fun out of those pesky foreigners.

Stop being so touchy, it's alright for people from other countries to make jokes out of us English; after all we spend a lot of our time making fun out of those pesky foreigners.

True but we don't go and start supporting them do we? I don't anyway. He wasn't making jokes by the way he was quite serious.

True but we don't go and start supporting them do we? I don't anyway. He wasn't making jokes by the way he was quite serious.

In terms of football I would of been more surprised had he said he is a massive England fan.

When you are sat there getting ribbed about Scotland being no where near a world cup you are hardly going to respond "Oh I love watching England play, come on the three lions"

I'll trust the journalist's opinion who conducted the interview over yours if you don't mind.

He admits he was winding Murray up about Scotland not making the finals by asking him if he was going to be supporting Scotland during the World Cup, and Murray made a joke as a reply.

Get over it.

In terms of football I would of been more surprised had he said he is a massive England fan.

When you are sat there getting ribbed about Scotland being no where near a world cup you are hardly going to respond "Oh I love watching England play, come on the three lions"

In the distant past when England have been knocked out of the world cup I have supported Scotland.

I'll trust the journalist's opinion who conducted the interview over yours if you don't mind.

He admits he was winding Murray up about Scotland not making the finals by asking him if he was going to be supporting Scotland during the World Cup, and Murray made a joke as a reply.

Get over it.

It was Maurice Russo. When did he write or give his opinion? Anyway everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I have mine which has not and is unlikely to change and I have nothing to get over thank you.

However you need to get over yourself.

It was Maurice Russo. When did he write or give his opinion? Anyway everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I have mine which has not and is unlikely to change and I have nothing to get over thank you.

However you need to get over yourself.

From the horses mouth.

Let me return to the topic of Andy Murray and this whole anti-English argument for what I truly hope is the last time - although I doubt it.

Some of the nonsensical criticism Britain's No 1 has received is laced with such misplaced venom and outrage that it makes me despair.

So, for the hard of thinking, let me state here that: I did the interview with Andy Murray and Tim Henman a couple of years back where Murray talked about 'supporting whoever England were playing against'.

It was a clearly a sarcastic remark. He was responding to teasing from your columnist about Scotland's absence from the 2006 World Cup and derisive laughter from the mischievous Henman.

It was reported in that context in this newspaper at the time and the exchange was run as a transcript.

A couple of days later a red-top got excited about the comments, lifted a couple of them into a 'story' that took on a life of its own and from there the truth was lost.

It is astonishing how this has run and run.

An extremely talented columnist pal of mine declared unequivocally the other day that: 'I don't think his remarks about England were a joke. There are some people who just don't like the English and I believe in my marrow that Murray is one of them.'

Based on what?

I did the interview - and it was a joke, as I have said before. And what marrows have to do with it I don't know, but it is certainly time to call a halt when vegetables like David Mellor pop up on the Today programme to lecture Murray about how to wave a Union Flag.

I have also heard him share that story on the radio, so that's case closed and we can put this little fairytale to bed eh?

From the horses mouth.

I have also heard him share that story on the radio, so that's case closed and we can put this little fairytale to bed eh?

No fairytale and I don't really care about retrospective comments that may be genuine or have other influential reasons for being made - I saw the program when it first went out and my opinion is cast in stone. BTW your link says DNS error when I try it.

Archived