Kickboxing for beginners

not the majority im afraid

more of a minority

pele reid was ok at k-1 not brilliant tho

also the best fighters in k-1 are the dutch!

dutch kickboxers are the best

now then since you wanna compare notes,... mention some kickboxers (successful ones) from sheffield who have done karate as opposed to kickboxing :)

teach that syllabus in less than a year?

dont think so :)

perfection of technique doesnt come over night :P

LOL

as for katas and all that,

no thank you :)

outdated thank you very much

who really wants to do katas anyway?

The Dutch kickboxers Ernesto Hoost and the likes actually have thei early years in thai boxing, Some had even come from kyokoshin karate,

Im afraid i dont know any Sheffield kickboxers never seen any on tv or in the star, but whats that got to do with my views.

teach that syllabus in less than a year?

dont think so :)

perfection of technique doesnt come over night :P

LOL

as for katas and all that,

no thank you :)

outdated thank you very much

who really wants to do katas anyway?

Freddy you could really learn the syllabus in a year theres not that much to it

some one coming from a karate or tae kwon do, kung fu back ground could proberbly do it six to eight months and you know thats true:P

weve had p[eople from karate /kung fu / taekwondo come ehre before thinking the same

they were proived wrong very quickly :)

my chaleneg to you, pop over and see for yourself if you think tis easy!

tell Farhad and Andy that i sent you

Anvil your right a lot of traditional martial artists were badly beaten at early UFCs however it was I think Royce Gracie that dominated the arena and again wasn't his foundation in a traditional art Ju jitsu ?

Brazilain jiu jitsu does originate from the traditional style but it has evolved so much, it is no longer classed as traditional. Basically they replaced your katas, forms etc.. with stuff that's more effective. Add this to thai/kickboxing skills gives you the ultimate combination. :thumbsup:

Anvil your right a lot of traditional martial artists were badly beaten at early UFCs however it was I think Royce Gracie that dominated the arena and again wasn't his foundation in a traditional art Ju jitsu ?

And as for kickboxing it is more of a combat sport as is boxing, fantastic to watch or train in however very impractical if your on the floor or in a bar or sat on a bus i mean theres no room to swing a punch or kick ! ;)

BJJ could actually be termed a combat sport, and you're right, so could boxing and kickboxing (as could Judo, shootfighting, etc.), all recommended by the FOREMOST experts on self-defence in the UK, at least one of whom i train with and know personally.

BJJ does originate in traditional styles, as do most combat sports, but as barracuda points out it has evolved and it is so far away from traditional now, both in terms of how it's taught and the informal environment. Royce's skills are BJJ, a relatively modern combat sport/martial art.

Geoff Thompson, when asked, said if he had to choose one style for self-defence, it would be boxing. he's also trained in Karate (to dan grade), but advocates boxing, judo muay thai, etc. for self-defence (as opposed to traditonal martial arts, although he and most others in the field do actually susbcribe to specific RBSD training).

Other people involved in RBSD also seem to advocate combat sports over tradtional martial arts (for self-defence), and while they are bound by certain rules, it is widely recognised that a combination of for example, boxing or muay thai and bjj or judo would stand most people in good stead in the street, providing grappling and striking skills, stand up and ground based.

as i've said before on another thread, it's foolish to blindly follow 'experts', and i question everything and everything because it is in my nature, but i can't see any faults in these arguments, especially when they are based on the experiences (as well as theories) of people who have trained widely and regularly used their skills on the streets.

my aim here isn't to dismiss 'traditional' martial arts - i believe it's the ability of the practitioner that is important - rather, i'm trying to redress the balance because you seem to be placing a lot of stock in 'traditional' versus 'combat sports', and from what i know of the opinions of RBSD people, no one else does!

Ive been doing kickboxing for a few years now , won titles and yet i still feel i have a lot to learn to until i say i know every thing aout kickboxing . you say there are ony a few kicks and punches but to be trully you need to learn how to put punch and kicks together for maximum effective.

Im 21 and had around 33 fight (undefeated):hihi: and fought people from karate and tae kwon do and quite simply and i say that if your young and want improve your kicks and flexiblity do tae kwon do. if you wana learn some self disipline and and forms do karate. Im not putting either one down cus my little 10 year old brother is a brown blet at tae kwon do and my cousin is the swedish karate champion (yer he frm sweden).

How ever I have to say apart from these stand up martial arts BJJ is by far the best ground fighting martial art there is and watching the gracie family over year proved its a martial art which is proven to be successful and I would love to start learning more . presently my lil 10 year bro is teaching me some lol but the only flaw with BJJ is t is only useful in 1 on 1 combat situations.

Too true Sunny

I think saying that a martial art/style of martial art can be narrowed down to a handful of techniques is perhaps being a little silly, anyone can learn to Jab, anyone can learn a hip throw or evasive footwork to get out of the way on a kick, but it's the skill and experience need to draw all these things together that makes someone good at what they do, what ever the style.

Can't really comment constructivly on any other style, done Muay Thai for nearly 11 years and am bit of a puritan, did a bit of boxing and some karate when I was younger, obviously the boxing is still pretty much used almost everyday with training but know that Karate isn't nearly hald as effective as a tool of self defence and personally couldn't provide me with the same physical satifaction that Muay Tahi does.

Archived