Kickboxing for beginners

Yes I know Lethal Latif quite well I see him in the mosque a lot during the Ramadan fasting month every year.

Seems like a nice enough guy. I know he was quite an accomplished Semi Contact Points fighter. I dont know his relevance to kickboxing though in all honesty the sport he is very good at is as far removed from kickboxing as cricket is from rugby to be honest.

Thanks for this chefkicker, I'm a bit surprised tho, as he definitely advertises kickboxing classes (big banner draped across park railings!)

Hi Catt,

Im 25, 5ft 6 medium build with long blonde hair. (Ha ha! Sounds like a dating ad!). I will also be wearing trackies prob black or blue and a white hoody with some kind of vest top underneath.

And don't worry I'm not that sporty myself so you wouldn't cramp my style!

I will prob get there for about twenty past 7 so I can introduce myself as a beginner to the instructor so we could meet then.

Looking forward to it now I have a partner - don't punch me too hard though! :-)

How old are you? just so I know what age range to look out for.

Sarah

Great. I'll be there at 7.20 tomorrow!! :D Punch hard... um, unlikely. Lol.

Yes I know Lethal Latif quite well I see him in the mosque a lot during the Ramadan fasting month every year.

Seems like a nice enough guy. I know he was quite an accomplished Semi Contact Points fighter. I dont know his relevance to kickboxing though in all honesty the sport he is very good at is as far removed from kickboxing as cricket is from rugby to be honest.

Thanks for this chefkicker, I'm a bit surprised tho, as he definitely advertises kickboxing classes (big banner draped across park railings!)

Hi Maz3

Doesnt everyone claim to teach "kickboxing" these days? Theyre all at it these days, Karate guys, bored taekwondo stylists, kung fu people you name it even the aerobics crowd!

The sad fact is that some people have noticed that kickboxing is the big buzz word and is exceedingly popular these days and then they all want a proverbial "slice of the pie".

Case Study Scenario:

Mr Plodds Karate McDojo (doesnt really exist just a fictitious example) sees how great and popular kickboxing is and adds a "kickboxing class" to the list of courses.

He thinks " hmm what next" so he changes the boring white suits to Red and Blue (or something). Then instead of white elasticated mitts they use the dipped foam mitts , then Mr Plodds takes out the katas and makes it more of an aerobic work out.

There are a lot of people out there who claim to be "kickboxers". Generally if their main style is Karate or Kung Fu and have Kickboxing as an extra style then alarm bells should automatically go off in your head.

The worst argument that a Karate/Kung Fu instructor will make for being "bogus" or "mickey mouse" as i often label cheats and liars would be to say " but anyone can teach kickboxing as its a western combat sport and not a traditional art".

My question to you would be if you would actually WANT just anyone to teach kickboxing? Or somebody with a good understanding of the Art/Sport in its entirety. I have observed Karate and Kung Fu people (with no real background in Kickboxing) try to teach it and it has been so bad it had made me cringe. A lot of those people are so appalling some of my Juniors (i.e. teenage kids) have a better understanding of real kickboxing technique.

Great. I'll be there at 7.20 tomorrow!! :D Punch hard... um, unlikely. Lol.

Hi Catt and Saloubay

I take it your going to Mark's Class? Tell him Hello from me :)

Mark's a friendly chilled out guy. Kathryn "the man beater" Mapley should be there too.

Hi Catt and Saloubay

I take it your going to Mark's Class? Tell him Hello from me :)

Mark's a friendly chilled out guy. Kathryn "the man beater" Mapley should be there too.

We will say hi to him for you!

I hope they'll be gentle with us?! My ex kickboxes in Hillsborough and always used to come home with black eyes and a bloody nose - not the look I'm going for.

We will say hi to him for you!

I hope they'll be gentle with us?! My ex kickboxes in Hillsborough and always used to come home with black eyes and a bloody nose - not the look I'm going for.

Hi Sayloubay

Who is your EX and which club does he kickbox for? He should only be having black eyes and a bloody nose if training for Full contact contests in the ring.

Other than that, any instructor who allows students(who are not fighters) to be punched senseless and bloody is irresponsible and stupid.

Mark and Kathryn will be gentle with you I promise :) . Mark is generally quite lenient with his students he is AFK's Mr Nice guy.

Big Andy might be there too, you wont be able to miss him. Big Andy is a former World Class Professional fighter , was once a Cruiserweight and is now a Superheavyweight :P He really knows his stuff especially on self defense having worked the doors for many years.

I just got back from having my first lesson in wellington street, where i met up with Saloubay!!

I was quite nervous but Mark the instructor was really friendly and approachable. The lesson was relaxed but pacey and we focussed on a few key moves, which was great because i didnt feel too overwhelmed. Andy looked very scary punching the bags:o but when he came over to hold the pads for us he was really helpful. :D

Me and Saloubay are gonna try and make it to Mondays lesson and will definately be there Thursday. Even if the gloves do stink. Lol. :D

Oh yeah, i went and left my little silver watch there...:( so will someone put it to one side for me?????

Anyone who's reading this thread thinking shall i shant i give kickboxing a try? I say you should!!!

I just got back from having my first lesson in wellington street, where i met up with Saloubay!!

I was quite nervous but Mark the instructor was really friendly and approachable. The lesson was relaxed but pacey and we focussed on a few key moves, which was great because i didnt feel too overwhelmed. Andy looked very scary punching the bags:o but when he came over to hold the pads for us he was really helpful. :D

Me and Saloubay are gonna try and make it to Mondays lesson and will definately be there Thursday. Even if the gloves do stink. Lol. :D

Oh yeah, i went and left my little silver watch there...:( so will someone put it to one side for me?????

Anyone who's reading this thread thinking shall i shant i give kickboxing a try? I say you should!!!

Hi Catt

Thank you for the comments. I wasnt there yesterday but I was there in Spirit :lol:

Mark Howarth is known as AFK's Mr nice guy but he is not to be underestimated. I have seen him take apart bigger guys ( 15 stone plus) in sparring with relative ease. Big Andy, of course he is scary :P He is about 16 Stone (he has been slimming recently) and he is also an EX World Class PRO :D

As for the watch , I have found it and will return it to you when you next show up. See you soon Catt.

Farhad

Hi Sayloubay

Who is your EX and which club does he kickbox for? He should only be having black eyes and a bloody nose if training for Full contact contests in the ring.

Other than that, any instructor who allows students(who are not fighters) to be punched senseless and bloody is irresponsible and stupid.

Mark and Kathryn will be gentle with you I promise :) . Mark is generally quite lenient with his students he is AFK's Mr Nice guy.

Big Andy might be there too, you wont be able to miss him. Big Andy is a former World Class Professional fighter , was once a Cruiserweight and is now a Superheavyweight :P He really knows his stuff especially on self defense having worked the doors for many years.

I'm not naming my ex on here! But he goes to a small place in Hillsborough/Malin Bridge. You will probably know the guys who run it, they often fight at the Octagon. I've met them a couple of times and they are really nice. My ex has been doing it for years and does want to eventually fight at events like that but has been told he will have to train every day for that so it prob won't happen. He spars with some guy and he has come home with a bloody nose once and a few black eyes but he loves it!

Me and Catt had a great time last night. I would also say that any girls out there who fancy it should definitely come along. I will also be coming on Monday (so will meet you thern Farhad?) and on Thursday again.

I'm actually thinking about buying my own gloves as the smell is a bit overwhelming - I have a weak stomach I'm afraid. I've always wanted some pink boxing gloves so now I have areason to buy some!

Hey Saloubay, if your getting pink gloves, i want baby blue ones. I hope they come in baby blue. Lol. Although i think i'll wait till i've learnt the first three moves first!! Lol. :hihi:

Farhard, thanks for the interesting convo and finding my watch!:)

Archived