Smallest bill you've ever had?

Originally posted by Andy

In the bank where I work, I've seen bills for 1p occasionally.

I also know someone who got a several bills from the same company for £0.00 and then got a final demand from them threatening legal action if he didn't pay £0.00. So he sent a cheque for £0.00. They've left him alone since then.

That's too mad 4 words. Shame he didn't send them a cheque for a penny and see how long it took for them to realise he'd overpaid and send the money back...

I've had a refund bill off Anglian Water (when lived in Lincolnshire) for £0.01.

It was hardly worth the shoe leather walking to the bank to pay it in!!!

Lots of people get tax bills saying £0.00, as they have to issue one for everyone - if no tax due, says £0.00.

I got a bill from BT last quarter which was £-2.40. Don't know how that happened but I'm not complaining, it meant having £2.40 knocked off this quarter's.

The Student Loans company once sent me a threatening letter claiming for non-payment of £0.01 and threatened legal action :loopy:

Small boring lesson on billing systems software in an attempt to explain these small bills.

Due to the processing time required to process the huge amount of bills the majority of billing processing is done during off peak hours and is known as batch processing. The initial process of determining which bills are in arrears occurs, for instance, around 6pm. This batch processing will check every accout and may take several hours so, to avoid too much processing occuring a minimal amount of information is extracted, such as the account number, and stored.

Still here? The next batch process will then run against only those accounts which were shown to be in arrears and will extract name, address and amount of arrears. This may well take place at around 11pm.

If, between the first batch process and the second the account is paid, by BACS transfer for instance, then the overdue bill will still be produced and show the account in arrears by £0 or £0.1p or even a few pence (computers work in binary so there may always be 1/128th of a penny knocking around which is rounded up to 1p).

Archived