Clegg calls gay marriage opponents "bigots"

taxman

This is what he said in extracts of a speech which were issued to the media.

He then backtracked and withdrew the "bigot" remark.

Was he right in his original remarks or was he correct in withdrawing them?

some of those who he labelled such would most certainly be bigots, some might not be.

anyway, most people don't care what Clegg says, so I'm not sure why they are getting so worked up about something he's not going to say. though on the other hand anything that winds up tory mps and ex-archbishops is probably a good thing.

With impeccable timing, ...

'I'm not an ignorant bigot, I'm just right' says Pope

His homily at the closing mass for the meeting, brought forward one of the leading themes of his papacy: that those who reject moral relativism and uphold objective moral truth are often accused of bigotry or hatred by the secular world. But this Divine Law, the pope said, is what helps us live fully human lives. It gives us an understanding not of how to order our civic structures, but “how to be human in the right way”.

Whilst I agree that disagreeing with same sex marriage does not equal bigotry, I would say that actively trying to stop it does.

I would say calling people bigots because they have a different opinion would make him a bigot.

I'm not sure if intolerance of somebody else's intolerance could be called bigotry, or else we are all bigots and the word becomes redundant.

Besides, what the extracts said was:

"Continued trouble in the economy gives the bigots a stick to beat us with, as they demand we 'postpone' the equalities agenda in order to deal with 'the things people really care about'."

Bigots are doing exactly that, so it's correct, but it doesn't say that all opponents to gay marriage are bigots.

I'm not sure if intolerance of somebody else's intolerance could be called bigotry, or else we are all bigots and the word becomes redundant.

Besides, what the extracts said was:

"Continued trouble in the economy gives the bigots a stick to beat us with, as they demand we 'postpone' the equalities agenda in order to deal with 'the things people really care about'."

Bigots are doing exactly that, so it's correct, but it doesn't say that all opponents to gay marriage are bigots.

Spot on.

Archived