Clegg calls gay marriage opponents "bigots"

taxman

Bigotry is intolerance of others who hold different opinions, not being intolerance of the opinion they hold, and definitely not in identifying that opinion as making them a bigot.

Identifying that someone is a bigot is not in itself intolerance, and so does not make one (or Nick) a bigot.

It’s not the fact that he is identifying them it’s the fact he is intolerant of those people that have the opinion, hence the reason he wants churches to be forced to marry gay people.

You assertion is that Nick Clegg is a bigot for describing people who are against gay marriage as bigots.

You are wrong.

Whilst they are entitled to an opinion (and I accept that it is their opinion), holding that opinion makes them bigots. Identifying them as such does not make anyone else a bigot.

Being intolerant of an intolerant opinion does not make one a bigot, that definition is circular and nonsensical.

Thats not what I have asserted.

If you are intolerant of his opinion (which you define as using 'bigot' to describe someone who holds such an opinion) then by definition you are also a bigot.

But as I already explained, this is circular and so nonsensical.

a) You are calling him a bigot.

b) You are saying that he is a bigot because he called someone else a bigot.

I refer you to point a) and then again to point b), but now applied you.

But I'm not intolerant of his opinion; his opinion doesn't bother me at all, and I'm not calling him a bigot because he called someone a bigot, he is by definition a bigot because he is intolerant of the church for having the opinion that gay people shouldn't be able to get married.

But I'm not intolerant of his opinion; his opinion doesn't bother me at all, and I'm not calling him a bigot because he called someone a bigot, he is by definition a bigot because he is intolerant of the church for having the opinion that gay people shouldn't be able to get married.

He disagrees with the church's standpoint and probably thinks it's a bigoted one. In what way is he 'intolerant'?

The quick response is no he doesn't.

But I point you back to my post which you claimed to agree with. It seems that you didn't.

I agree, not sure what happed then, the post you quoted wasn't the one I thought I posted, I thought I posted this.

I was under the impression he wanted the law changing to force churches to conduct gay marriages, but it appears that I was wrong.

Mr Clegg said: “This is a personal view at the moment, but I think that in exactly the same way that we shouldn’t force any church to conduct gay marriage, we shouldn’t stop any church that wants to conduct gay marriage.”

Repeating a lie often enough doesn't make it true.

No-one is talking about churches be compelled to marry gay couples.

When someone says something they believe to be true, it isn’t a lie.

I now know that he doesn’t want to force churches to marry anyone, but I did think that at the beginning of this topic.

Archived