Clegg calls gay marriage opponents "bigots"

taxman

with respect mr smth, that's complete cack - do you think that all opinions have equal weight? I don't - extreme right wing and religious beliefs are of less value than more mainstream views for instance - they are bigoted, that's what the word is for

That’s the nature of opinions they don't have to be based on facts but everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter what it is and if you are prejudiced against those who hold different opinions you are by definition a bigot.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bigot

The real question is, does this actually apply to the people Clegg called bigots? Are they utterly intolerant of the opinions or beliefs of others? As far as I can see, the anti-gay marriage lobby are not utterly intolerant of other opinions, they're not even utterly intolerant of gay people. Have they ever said that proponents of gay marriage should not be allowed to voice their opinions? Or are they just voicing their own?

The problem is that too many people use the word bigot and racist has insults instead of in their correct context.

That’s the nature of opinions they don't have to be based on facts but everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter what it is and if you are prejudiced against those who hold different opinions you are by definition a bigot.

It helps though - and if they're based on nothing but supposition and prejudice or are indeed demonstrably false then they can and shpuld be robustly challenged.

To be prejudiced against incorrect, unscientific and inhumane opinion seems entirely reasonable to me.

It helps though - and if they're based on nothing but supposition and prejudice or are indeed demonstrably false then they can and shpuld be robustly challenged.

To be prejudiced against incorrect, unscientific and inhumane opinion seems entirely reasonable to me.

I agree, it would help if everyone is aware of the same facts and fully understands and interpretes those facts in the same way, but we don’t. Life would be very boring if all humans had the same opinions on everything and we all thought the same, life is much easier when you acknowledge that we are all different and entitled to our own opinions. If you chose to be prejudiced against those who hold different opinions, then by definition you are a bigot. It’s not an insult it’s just a word that describes your behaviour.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bigot

The real question is, does this actually apply to the people Clegg called bigots? Are they utterly intolerant of the opinions or beliefs of others? As far as I can see, the anti-gay marriage lobby are not utterly intolerant of other opinions, they're not even utterly intolerant of gay people. Have they ever said that proponents of gay marriage should not be allowed to voice their opinions? Or are they just voicing their own?

Refusal to allow gay people to be married is no different to the refusal to allow black people to sit at the front of the bus, so yes the people Clegg's draft speech referred to as bigots are indeed bigots.

Besides, you have just picked and bolded the more extreme definition from the link you supplied. You could have also picked:

bigot (ˈbɪɡət)

— n

a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race

Example Sentences

To be a bigot means that you hold negative views of a group despite evidence.

Refusal to allow gay people to be married is no different to the refusal to allow black people to sit at the front of the bus, so yes the people Clegg's draft speech referred to as bigots are indeed bigots.

Besides, you have just picked and bolded the more extreme definition from the link you supplied. You could have also picked:

All in your opinion, which I respect of course, not being a bigot. :)

It’s slightly different if you have a belief in a God and that God says it’s a sin to be Gay, obviously if their God says it’s a sin to be black then I’m sure they would also discriminate against blacks. But it is their opinion, they are entitled to that opinion and if you are prejudiced against them for holding that opinion then you are also a by definition a bigot.

It’s not the fact that he is identifying them it’s the fact he is intolerant of those people that have the opinion, hence the reason he wants churches to be forced to marry gay people.

How did you identify his intolerance? By the fact that he called them bigots (as you suggested) or by some process that you've not shared and haven't alluded too when you identified that he was a bigot?

I would say calling people bigots because they have a different opinion would make him a bigot.

Because here you've said that it was "calling people bigots" that makes one a bigot...

But I'm not intolerant of his opinion; his opinion doesn't bother me at all, and I'm not calling him a bigot because he called someone a bigot, he is by definition a bigot because he is intolerant of the church for having the opinion that gay people shouldn't be able to get married.

That's not what you said.

I would say calling people bigots because they have a different opinion would make him a bigot.

Archived