Clegg calls gay marriage opponents "bigots"

taxman

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bigot

The real question is, does this actually apply to the people Clegg called bigots? Are they utterly intolerant of the opinions or beliefs of others? As far as I can see, the anti-gay marriage lobby are not utterly intolerant of other opinions, they're not even utterly intolerant of gay people. Have they ever said that proponents of gay marriage should not be allowed to voice their opinions? Or are they just voicing their own?

They want to force everyone to follow their opinion, which happens to be completely intolerant of allowing gay marriage.

How did you identify his intolerance? By the fact that he called them bigots (as you suggested) or by some process that you've not shared and haven't alluded too when you identified that he was a bigot?

I incorrectly assumed he wanted to change the law to make it unlawful for a church to refuse to marry a same sex couple; I have since read a little more about what he actually said and have changed my opinion on him.

Because here you've said that it was "calling people bigots" that makes one a bigot...

I agree it wasn’t worded in a way that reflected what I thought, I make these errors occasionally.

That’s the nature of opinions they don't have to be based on facts but everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter what it is and if you are prejudiced against those who hold different opinions you are by definition a bigot.

No, as I said multiple times already, you are wrong.

Being intolerant of intolerance does not make you a bigot.

You are not a bigot because you will not tolerate the suggestion that slavery should be legal (for example). Nor are you a bigot because you identify people with a view that gay people should not marry as bigots themselves.

It’s slightly different if you have a belief in a God and that God says it’s a sin to be Gay, obviously if their God says it’s a sin to be black then I’m sure they would also discriminate against blacks. But it is their opinion, they are entitled to that opinion and if you are prejudiced against them for holding that opinion then you are also a by definition a bigot.

Being entitled to an opinion does not being entitled to act on that opinion or to try to force it down everyone's throat.

You can challenge an opinion without being intolerant of the right to have the opinion, and you can identify the holder of that opinion as being a bigot for holding it, all without being a bigot yourself.

Otherwise the definition is circular and everyone is a bigot, which makes the entire word pointless.

No, as I said multiple times already, you are wrong.

Being intolerant of intolerance does not make you a bigot.

You are not a bigot because you will not tolerate the suggestion that slavery should be legal (for example). Nor are you a bigot because you identify people with a view that gay people should not marry as bigots themselves.

You are a bigot if you are obstinately convinced of the superiority or correctness of your own opinions and prejudiced against those who hold different opinions.

intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself:

having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one’s own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others:

Obstinately convinced of the superiority or correctness of one's own opinions and prejudiced against those who hold different opinions

You are a bigot if you are obstinately convinced of the superiority or correctness of your own opinions and prejudiced against those who hold different opinions.

Never thought I'd see the day you describing yourself most eloquently. Well done you.

You could have at least inserted 'arrogant' in that description.

Your opinion differs from the opinions of the majority on here, it's you who is out on a limb. So, by your own definition you are a bigot.

We await you arrogant and obstinate reply. :D

Archived