Clegg calls gay marriage opponents "bigots"

taxman

This is what he said in extracts of a speech which were issued to the media.

He then backtracked and withdrew the "bigot" remark.

Was he right in his original remarks or was he correct in withdrawing them?

Of course he was correct in his original remarks

People who are against gay marriage are indeed bigots

Obviously

And they need to get their noses out of other people's business, quite frankly

Gay marriage is like saying 'Gay Lunch'

So I'm off to Gay park my car before I go have some Gay dinner

Bloody fanny annies :hihi:

No, but it demonstrates a degree of intolerance towards them, just because they have a different opinion, which would make them a bigot.

I disagree. I would call someone to be idiotic because I judged that they were acting in an idiotic manor, not specifically because I'd have a different opinion with them.

Bigotry doesn't come into it.

No, but it demonstrates a degree of intolerance towards them, just because they have a different opinion, which would make them a bigot.

No it doesn't. Correctly identifying a behaviour or trait is not intolerance.

in·tol·er·ant

adjective \-rənt\

: unable or unwilling to endure

a : unwilling to grant equal freedom of expression especially in religious matters

b : unwilling to grant or share social, political, or professional rights : bigoted

Accurately saying that you're being an idiot isn't demonstrating an inability or unwillingness to put up with it, quite the opposite.

You started off the entire thread labouring under a similar misapprehension that it was bigoted to identify an opinion as making someone a bigot. Now you are trying to argue that saying anything perceived as negative is demonstrative of intolerance and thus (by your definition only) bigoted.

I think you're just demonstrating a fundamental misunderstanding of what intolerance and bigotry are.

I disagree. I would call someone to be idiotic because I judged that they were acting in an idiotic manor, not specifically because I'd have a different opinion with them.

Bigotry doesn't come into it.

But we arn't talking about what you would do.

How would you decide what was an idiotic manner, what would they have to do for you to come to the conclusion that they are stupid.

I'm getting sick of this constant criminalisation of people who have a different opinion to the majority. If you don't believe in gay marriage then fair enough.

Fair enough so long as you don't try to argue that the law of the land should support your opinion.

Having an opinion is one thing, trying to force it onto everyone else is something entirely different.

Archived