Clegg calls gay marriage opponents "bigots"

taxman

I think this was part of judas's desperate and futile attempt to put some space between him and the tories - judgement day approaches, he will be political dead meat and his party will be obliterated - in desperation he's looking for old fashioned 'liberal' causes to attach himself to and the chose gay rights (a noble cause) -

unfortunately, he bottled it and now he looks an even bigger <REMOVED> than he did in the first place - if that's possible.

I'm not sure if intolerance of somebody else's intolerance could be called bigotry, or else we are all bigots and the word becomes redundant.

Besides, what the extracts said was:

"Continued trouble in the economy gives the bigots a stick to beat us with, as they demand we 'postpone' the equalities agenda in order to deal with 'the things people really care about'."

Bigots are doing exactly that, so it's correct, but it doesn't say that all opponents to gay marriage are bigots.

Clegg is that convinced of the superiority or correctness of his own opinion that he is willing to call someone a bigot for having a different opinion, which also makes him a bigot.

It wouldn’t make me a bigot because I’m not intolerant of anything, I think everyone has a right to their own opinion.

Clegg is that convinced of the superiority or correctness of his own opinion that he is willing to call someone a bigot for having a different opinion, which also makes him a bigot.

that suggests there is no such thing asa bigot - there is, there are racist and homophobic bigots for insance and it is important that they are identified as such

that suggests there is no such thing asa bigot - there is, there are racist and homophobic bigots for insance and it is important that they are identified as such

ther is

and sometimes we are not allowed to say that some of the worst homophobes like to play the race card ;) like I said its the Lefts problem.....

No it wouldn't, it would just mean that if you are convinced of the superiority or correctness of your opinions and prejudiced against those who hold different opinions, that you are also a bigot.

No it wouldn't, it would just mean that if you are convinced of the superiority or correctness of your opinions and prejudiced against those who hold different opinions, that you are also a bigot.

A bigot is somebody who is intolerant of another's opinion, not somebody who merely disagrees with it.

Clegg is not telling the opponents of gay marriage to shut up, but merely pointing out that some of them are bigots. He is correct, because some of them really are intolerant of gays and are using the political system to demand they 'postpone' the equalities agenda.

people who opposed slavery weren't bigots, those who supported it were, surely.

I think people who see no use in the term 'bigot' are often people who happily condemn others on the grounds of race, sexualty or gender - ie they are bigots.

Ex-Archbishop Carey is very offensive. Can we have him removed, in the same way as the offending word was from Clegg's speech?

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that Clegg wrote the speech. It will have been written for him, and then he will have made alterations.

You can use the phrase "Clegg calls..." after he has made his speech. Not before.

A bigot is somebody who is intolerant of another's opinion, not somebody who merely disagrees with it.

Clegg is not telling the opponents of gay marriage to shut up, but merely pointing out that some of them are bigots. He is correct, because some of them really are intolerant of gays and are using the political system to demand they 'postpone' the equalities agenda.

And Clegg must be intolerant or he would resort to calling people bigots, just has Brown was intolerant of the old lady he called a bigot.

Archived