Clegg calls gay marriage opponents "bigots"

taxman

Even if Clegg did indeed initially use the word 'bigot', I think he was correct, because bigots they most certainly are. I can understand the politics of the matter, and why he might prefer to not use such a term, but he was right to use the term, even if he didn't.

The wording of the extracts do not say that all opponents of gay marriage are bigots, but does suggest that bigots that are against gay marriage are attempting to use the political system to restrict people's human rights. This is perfectly true.

In fact, if the inadvertent release of the extracts was in fact intentional, then for the first time in ages I'll have to give him credit for something. Leaking excerpts of an "early draft" annoys the bigots while enabling him to feign innocence.

It's quite hilarious how the usual suspects in the media have shown their hand, and actually exposed their bigotry, by claiming to be offended. :hihi:

You're right. They are. Clegg is, for a change, absolutely right.

No church would be forced to marry a gay person, just as they are not forced to marry atheists or divorced people.

At the moment, no church that wants to marry gay people is allowed to because of the bigotry of others.

At the moment, no gay marriage in a secular building is allowed to have any religious paraphernalia or music, even if they are deeply religious, because of the bigotry of others.

At the moment, no gay marriage is allowed to even be called marriage because of the bigotry of others.

This is simply about choices to increase the happiness of people, with no effect at all on the lives of others.

But no church should ever be forced to marry somebody they don't want to, and no sensible person is arguing for this.

I know which is why I'm advocating the right for same sex couple to marry providing churches aren't forced to marry them.

Yes. I should have the choice of entertaining my children at the local park because the choice of a pedophile to use it as a hunting ground has been removed.

I'll agree with you if the choice is a mental one, meaning it stays within the person as a thought. Once it goes beyond a thought..even verbal, it's an action. You cannot control thought.

What you seem to be doing here is defending the indefensible as a means to defend your own bigotry. You want to be a bigot? Fine, but keep it in your head.

What are you talking about, this is about people’s right to get married, and has nothing to do with the illegal activities of paedophiles. :huh:

Archived