Woodlice in the house!

Hi, I'm after a bit of advise really. Just recently I've started to find quite a lot of woodlice in the house. The vast majority of them are dead, but there is the odd alive one still. They seem to be most apparent in the upstairs back bedroom, but also the odd ones in the bathroom (opposite side of the house) and landing.

I've had a look around on the internet and apparently they are most promenant in damp areas, but I don't think I really have any damp. About a year ago I did have a lot of water come through the back of the house in very bad weather - my house is on the top of a hill and got a right old battering in strong wind and rain at the back of the house. Since then though however, I have had the house re-pointed at the back (by a good builder) and also had the loft and cavity walls insulated. Since all of this I have noticed no dampness whatsoever and the house doesn't smell damp at all. I have noticed a couple in the bathroom run into a gap in the tiling around the window into the cavity area so I dunno!

Has anybody had a lot of woodlice or have any suggestions to get rid of them? I have a cat but she's useless and won't catch any!

Thanks in advance!

I thought they ate dead wood. My advice would be to just look upon them as friendly baby armadillos.

They eat rotting vegetation.

They are harmless, don't carry disease harmful to humans, and definately don't cause damage to a house by eating wood.

That said....thay ain't nice things to see crawling around the house.

Yes...I regularly have them visit. Usually in the kitchen at the back of the house.

They don't survive for long once I spot 'em!

They are generally associated with damp, but they dont survive long in central heated houses hence you finding them dead a lot.

Maybe there is still somewhere within the walls/under the flooring of your house from when you had the damp that they have found and like.

We have had an issue of them recently due to the washing machine leaking and are waiting for someone to come out and re tile tile the floor to clear the damp

Archived