Hillsborough document release

Hemibr

Summary

Doubt has been cast over the original inquest ruling, after a report into the Hillsborough disaster has revealed that 41 victims "had the potential to survive".

South Yorkshire Police and the emergency services made "strenuous attempts" to deflect the blame for the crush onto victims.

The report found 116 of the 164 police statements were "amended to remove or alter comments unfavourable to South Yorkshire Police".

Police carried out blood alcohol readings on victims, including children in order to "impugn their reputations".

Prime minister David Cameron has said he is "profoundly sorry" for the "double injustice" of the Hillsborough disaster.

Kelvin MacKenzie, Sun editor when the paper ran a story blaming fans, offered "profuse apologies" for the headline.

David Compton, chief constable of South Yorkshire Police, "profoundly apologises" to families of the 96 victims and Liverpool fans in general.

McKenzie is desperately back-tracking and blaming everyone else.

The match wasn't even sold out. Ticketless and drunken fans were a myth invented by the police and their allies to shift the blame. Idiots and bigots like you are still apologising for the lying authorities by repeating their lies., even in the face of today's report which says the fans weren't to blame.

Its a shame you feel the need to name call.

I'm no fan of the police or authorities or The Sun and want to see them brought to justice for this. I'd like to see The Sun prevented from publication, it's such a a scummy paper that does nothing good for this country.

I am questioning the fact that so many previous reports have been questioned, but suddenly today's is completely correct and accurate?

It's not about police numbers, it was sheer lack of organisation on the day, a series of poor decisions by the police at the top. I think they had adequate numbers of police, they were just doing the wrong things.

Hillsborough was a regular FA Cup semi-final venue, this didn't happen in previous matches.

It was an accident waiting to happen by the look's of this piece...

Actually, make that three.

Make that four, best to ignore that poster's offensive, dishonest rubbish. This is funny:

In a press conference in Liverpool, Trevor Hicks says there were two disasters at Hillsborough: what happened on the day, and what happened afterwards. He condemns the "contrived, manupulated, vengeful and spiteful" attempt by various agencies to cover up the truth.

Hicks asks any Sun journalists present to leave the press conference. No one leaves, though, as one of the other family members points out

"would they tell the truth?"

I know that reports and panels and hearings are costing the British taxpayer.

Without falsified statements and arbitrary cut-off times, the first investigation would have been conclusive, so there would have been no need for this further report.

Even so, even the first investigation came to the conclusion that policing failures were the cause of the deaths. This report now adds the knowledge that the police, being fully aware of their failure, resorted to atrocious tactics to smear the dead.

Criminal record checks on the dead, when their blood alcohol tests proved to be disappointingly zero - not THAT's a waste of tax-payers' money.

Regrettably, the lies and smears persist. It's easier, I suppose, to believe the tabloid headlines. It spares people the effort of thinking.