Hillsborough document release

Hemibr

An open letter to Jeremy Clifford, Editor of the Sheffield Star

Well said Coxy.

But i think it would have far more impact if you had given it it's own thread,that way it would have invited more posters to comment.........

Would it not just be deleted, or merged with this thread?

There's something puzzling me. If all the Liverpool fans turned up with tickets, why, when there's 10 minutes to kick off, did they walk past all the turnstiles and doors that would have got them in with their tickets, and then stand outside a locked gate ?

Because there were inadequate numbers of turnstiles to cope with the number of supporters in that end, many kept getting stuck, and one had broken. There was a crush outside the ground meaning many fans climbed over the wall to escape injury.

Because there were inadequate numbers of turnstiles to cope with the number of supporters in that end, many kept getting stuck, and one had broken. There was a crush outside the ground meaning many fans climbed over the wall to escape injury.

Yep I understand that, but to my simplistic thoughts, if it's almost kick off time I'd rather wait in a queue for something that will get me in eventually, rather than stand in a crush of people at a locked gate. Unless, I suppose, it was expected to be opened, or had been on previous occasions.

Yep I understand that, but to my simplistic thoughts, if it's almost kick off time I'd rather wait in a queue for something that will get me in eventually, rather than stand in a crush of people at a locked gate. Unless, I suppose, it was expected to be opened, or had been on previous occasions.

The cctv showed that the area outside the turnstiles was packed by supporters waiting to get on Leppings lane end and the stand too,i don't think there were orderly queues.

Who in there right minds would think putting football supporters in pens was a good idea,not only that but a huge fence in front aswell,we really were treated as cattle in those days.Someone actually got paid for coming up with that brainwave.

I agree, but wasn't that in response to the repeated pitch invasions of the 70s and 80s ? Wasn't it a fact that some supporters (Leeds Utd I'm looking at you) started invading the pitch any time it looked like thier team was going to lose.

Hillsbourgh has staged many semi-finals in the past with far bigger crowds that were present on that day, using the same turnstiles. 60,000 plus was not uncommon, everyone entering the ground in a proper manner without getting crushed and resorting to gatecrashing.