Hillsborough document release

Hemibr

Thread reopened - however i strongly suggest that you read medusa's post above before you post. If it starts to degenerate into the usual bickering and disrespect like the previous threads on this subject then the offenders will receive bans. Show some respect for people who are still grieving for lost family please.

Even now though, they don't seem to want peace. When on earth are they ever going to stop with this...

"The group is now looking at three avenues to follow up. They are urging the attorney general to apply for new inquests, demanding full and immediate investigations into criminal prosecutions and, where appropriate, applying for civil proceedings to be reopened."

Maybe the search for truth and justice will help the families move on. There must be a lot of pain and anger amonst the breaved families at how their loved ones died and the subsequent cover up and smear campaign against them.

If it ensures that never again will ordinary people be treated like trash by the establishment, and their loved ones names will no longer be tarnished, I wish them every success in their campaign.

Yet more shenanigans...

Police officers who claimed trauma after the Hillsborough Disaster were given more than £90,000 in compensation on average, while families of children killed in the tragedy typically received only £3,500.

Families of the victims today spoke of their anger as it emerged that 16 officers received payments totalling £1.5million in the aftermath of the event.

The average payout for officers was £93,000 - 30 times the statutory level of compensation received by parents whose children were among the 96 Liverpool supporters crushed to death at the football stadium in Sheffield in 1989.Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204038/Hillsborough-police-got-compensation-payouts-THIRTY-TIMES-higher-families-children-killed.html#ixzz26eSUU2UP

Having been involved in the legal side of these cases as they progressed, I would like to clarify those figures.

Firstly, the police officers received payment for general damages (pain/suffering/loss of amenity - payment for their injuries if you will). They also received special damages for lost earnings.

The reason for the difference is that the law doesn't allow you to recover damages in a fatal accident claim for pain and suffering. It isn't fair, it probably isn't right, but it doesn't, if death is relatively quick. Unless you're suffering for some time (and I mean days/weeks/months), no damages.

The families therefore received no general damages, and similarly, quite a few of the deceased weren't working as they were either children or, I understand, unemployed, hence no financial losses either. Those that were employed had claims by their estates, although the persons who could claim were limited. Unmarried people over 18 for example also had no claim.

The only awards that the families could claim are the standard bereavement award (£3500ish at the time) plus funeral expenses.

The police recovered damages for their injuries, as they survived, and their financial losses. Police earn a fairly high amount, hence the damages payments.

The law isn't and has never been fair to deceased claimants. It isn't exclusive to Hillsborough, even though I feel the press would like it to be. As horrible as this sounds, if you were paying damages yourself, you would be paying less if you killed someone than left them severely injured.

I wanted to clear that up, as the Star have just reported it in their usual sensationalist way.

Just out of curiosity, what did the families receive from the disaster fund?

I can only comment on the civil cases as that's all I had involvement in I'm afraid.

The families referred to in the Mail article are the ones with children who sadly died. They would receive a bereavement award which was at the time a few thousand pounds, and funeral expenses, but nothing else.

The law hasn't changed in that regard. Unless there's a claim for dependency (a spouse or child dependent on the deceased for earnings/care etc), there's nothing else that can be claimed.

Just out of curiosity, what did the families receive from the disaster fund?

here is what wikipedia say - I hadn't realised it reached £12 million

A disaster appeal fund was set up with donations of £500,000 from the Government, £100,000 from Liverpool F.C. and £25,000 each from the cities of Liverpool, Sheffield and Nottingham.[30] Liverpool donated their share of the money they would have received for the game. [29] Within a few days donations had passed £1 million.[31] Fund raising activities included the charity single, Ferry Cross The Mersey performed by Liverpudlian artists, a Factory Records benefit concert and several fundraising football matches. Bradford City and Lincoln City, the teams involved in the Bradford City stadium fire played a game which raised £25,000. By the time the appeal closed the following year it had raised over £12 million.[35] Much of the money went to victims and relatives of those involved in the disaster and provided funds for a college course to improve the hospital phase of emergency care

Having been involved in the legal side of these cases as they progressed, I would like to clarify those figures.

Firstly, the police officers received payment for general damages (pain/suffering/loss of amenity - payment for their injuries if you will). They also received special damages for lost earnings.

The reason for the difference is that the law doesn't allow you to recover damages in a fatal accident claim for pain and suffering. It isn't fair, it probably isn't right, but it doesn't, if death is relatively quick. Unless you're suffering for some time (and I mean days/weeks/months), no damages.

The families therefore received no general damages, and similarly, quite a few of the deceased weren't working as they were either children or, I understand, unemployed, hence no financial losses either. Those that were employed had claims by their estates, although the persons who could claim were limited. Unmarried people over 18 for example also had no claim.

The only awards that the families could claim are the standard bereavement award (£3500ish at the time) plus funeral expenses.

The police recovered damages for their injuries, as they survived, and their financial losses. Police earn a fairly high amount, hence the damages payments.

The law isn't and has never been fair to deceased claimants. It isn't exclusive to Hillsborough, even though I feel the press would like it to be. As horrible as this sounds, if you were paying damages yourself, you would be paying less if you killed someone than left them severely injured.

I wanted to clear that up, as the Star have just reported it in their usual sensationalist way.

Thank you for the information you provide. Can I ask, as the families have suffered in a prolonged manner and have indeed spent 23 years in their quest for the truth and in terms of the pain, suffering, sleepless nights, stress, workload and time this has resulted in, due to a cover-up, does this mean that the initial figures can be challenged now?

Thank you for the information you provide. Can I ask, as the families have suffered in a prolonged manner and have indeed spent 23 years in their quest for the truth and in terms of the pain, suffering, sleepless nights, stress, workload and time this has resulted in, due to a cover-up, does this mean that the initial figures can be challenged now?

I certainly hope so.

PS thanks to the mods for reminding posters how to be excellent to each other.

I was very pleased to see on the news that Reading Football Club had pledged their support to the Liverpool families in their battle for justice and remembered the victims at their last match, also I think Everton were doing the same tonight.

I was also pleased to see that Martin McLoughlin, ex police constable on duty that day, has expressed his disgust to find on release of the independent report, after 23 years, that his statement was 'doctored'.

There was a very good post that was made in a new thread earlier this evening, which raised many important issues. It would be good if this post could be added to this thread, as it raised questions that I think Sheffielders are thinking and need to face, and that is the implications that these revelations have on our trust of our police force. If Sheffield Forum do have access to the post, and could put it on this thread, I would be very grateful, as it would be a great shame if this was lost.

PS. I am also EXTREMELY pleased that Sheffield Forum have re-opened this important thread.

Edited by Darth Vader

There was a very good post that was made in a new thread earlier this evening, which raised many important issues. It would be good if this post could be added to this thread, as it raised questions that I think Sheffielders are thinking and need to face, and that is the implications that these revelations have on our trust of our police force. If Sheffield Forum do have access to the post, and could put it on this thread, I would be very grateful, as it would be a great shame if this was lost.

I've just done that Darth. It is a few posts up from here because of the way that the forum software works.

I do hope that forum members can debate this important topic in a sensetive manner, thus allowing the thread to continue.

Edited by sibon