Are CCTV cameras in school toilets and changing rooms acceptable?

Please do not get upset by the content of this thread designed to alarm people and smear people like yourself doing a difficult,sensitive job.It reveals a great deal about the people who post who seem to judge other people by their own(questionable) standards.I would simply ignore their comments which you dignify and validate by responding to them.

I am not upset at all (but I thank you for the supportive post), it just makes me angry at the pitchfork wielding mob mentality of folk who really have no idea what is going on, how it's managed and assume the worst!

It may come as a surprise to many, but believe it or not, the staff in schools, including non school staff, care about the kids welfare - many, many more than the (non) toilet watchers. :D

The thing that concerns me is although people are CRB checked, you never REALLY know if they are trustworthy, just that they haven't been caught.

I do have a couple of questions for the person who watches the cameras, just a bloke I think.

Are they actually placed in changing rooms or is it just a newspaper trying to cause a bit of a panic? Also, I'm assuming (based on my old school) that it isn't always possible to put the cameras in a place away from cubicles, am I right in assuming that they wouldn't then be fitted, and that current ones can 100% definitely not see into cubicles?

Reason I ask is I know a couple of people likely to panic and in some instances severely over react.

The thing that concerns me is although people are CRB checked, you never REALLY know if they are trustworthy, just that they haven't been caught.

I do have a couple of questions for the person who watches the cameras, just a bloke I think.

Are they actually placed in changing rooms or is it just a newspaper trying to cause a bit of a panic? Also, I'm assuming (based on my old school) that it isn't always possible to put the cameras in a place away from cubicles, am I right in assuming that they wouldn't then be fitted, and that current ones can 100% definitely not see into cubicles?

Reason I ask is I know a couple of people likely to panic and in some instances severely over react.

You are right, you never REALLY know if folk are trustworthy despite CRB checks - I've never been caught ... does that mean I am actually up to something? With Mummytwo as your user name I would assume you adore your family - but I would never really know would I?

I am not for a single second making any accusation in that statement but merely illustrating a point which I hope you can see.

Firstly, I no longer "watch the cameras" - my role has changed and I no longer have that responsibility.

The cameras are a tool and as such are utilized when required.

The physical location of the camera is not an issue - it's where the camera is pointing that matters. For example, a camera dome could be right above a toilet door, but inside the dome, the camera will be facing away in the opposite direction. Like a shop security camera, the domes look black so you cannot actually see where it is pointing. Near a cubicle doesn't mean looking into a cubicle.

Like I said, just because a dome is there, doesn't mean it is looking where you think it might.

Schools have a massive safeguarding responsibility with regards to their students - I would expect that camera positions will have been very carefully considered with that in mind.

Looking at the way the headlines are written I think you have already answered your own question.:)

Nobody watches the cameras, a school would never justify paying the salary for someone just to watch CCTV. The footage is recorded and may never be watched, if it reaches the point where the footage is recorded over. We're not talking cassette tape recordings now, it's all done digitally.

If there is an incident, as much information about time and location is gathered.

The senior management team - usually the deputy or assistant heads, possibly along with the head, review the footage.

If necessary a clip of incident is then extracted and shown to the people concerned and / or their parents in a private room in the school.

The footage may be recorded onto a disc for the police if they request it.

Are they actually placed in changing rooms or is it just a newspaper trying to cause a bit of a panic?

I've not known any schools put cameras in changing rooms, my post no 69 clarifies why:

PE changing rooms are supervised by two members of staff together and only used when staff and pupils are in scheduled lessons together. The staff are there to hurry the kids into getting ready to make the most of the hour they have. Factor in slow changers and the trip to the sports field and you barely get 30 minutes of sport.

And because of their proximity to expensive and or potentially dangerous PE equipment, are usually locked when not in use.

So there would be no need for CCTV here.

Also, I'm assuming (based on my old school) that it isn't always possible to put the cameras in a place away from cubicles, am I right in assuming that they wouldn't then be fitted, and that current ones can 100% definitely not see into cubicles?

Correct, they'd be placed in the corridor pointing to the toilet entrance in this case.

But this kind of rational thinking or explanation doesn't interest Big Brother Watch or the media. They rely on the scandal of the headline to sell papers.

You are right, you never REALLY know if folk are trustworthy despite CRB checks - I've never been caught ... does that mean I am actually up to something? With Mummytwo as your user name I would assume you adore your family - but I would never really know would I?

I am not for a single second making any accusation in that statement but merely illustrating a point which I hope you can see.

Firstly, thank you for responding.

Secondly, I do see your point, you can never really tell what a person is like from simple things such as CRB checks or usernames. For example, I have known people join groups on facebook called 'i love my kids' or similar, however these people treat their children like vermin. I wish I could think of a better way to word my point but I think you already fully understand.

I am greatful for the responses from both you and alchresearch for clearing this up.

Archived