Are CCTV cameras in school toilets and changing rooms acceptable?

So you have gone from 'I have heard that' straight to 'I happen to be telling the truth' in 2 posts- impressive.

In repeating what i was told, yes i was telling the truth.

Obviously your not that bright so that passed you by but its ok, i know its not your fault.

No I'm not deliberately being obtuse or deliberately taking an opposing view to you, but. If the cameras inside a toilet are not pointing at cubicles or urinals, then it's so easy for a bully to do his worst in the blind spots. He/she doesn't need to drag aybody anywhere!

See my comment above

I admit, in rare instances it 'may' catch someone with irrefutable video evidence. But if two lads are seen to go in and both come out followed by a blood soaked victim, then that's pretty irrefutable too!

You know this is not true...I have my own opinion!

I have not said that CCTV is bad. All I'm saying is that they shouldn't be in a toilet or chaging room. Other places are fine.

I thiink either you've changed your argument or i've misunderstood you.

We have established that the camera is unlikely to be moved, but we are both in agreement that there are bound to be blind spots on any camera system.

I don't think that you can claim that irrefutable evidence can be gained by having a camera watch people go in and out of a room. Any number of things could have happened to get poor litle Johnny covered in blood. It might have been an accident, one of the others may have done it to him whilst the other tried to stop it, he many have done it to himself to get the attention/other boys in trouble.

I've still yet to see an argument based on anything other than "I'm uncomfortable with CCTV cameras being in changing rooms or toilets". The quotes I put at the end of my last message were for dramatic purposes only -they weren't intended to be a direct quote, so please accept my apologies if that's how it seems.

Going back to the CCTVs in changing rooms, I think this is a red herring and a lie by BBW.

PE changing rooms are supervised by two members of staff together and only used when staff and pupils are in scheduled lessons together. The staff are there to hurry the kids into getting ready to make the most of the hour they have. Factor in slow changers and the trip to the sports field and you barely get 30 minutes of sport.

And because of their proximity to expensive and or potentially dangerous PE equipment, are usually locked when not in use.

So there would be no need for CCTV here.

Toilets are different. They're used at breaks when teaching staff are entitled to "non contact time" (see my earlier post), or if a pupil urgently needs to use the toilet to get out of class to meet a fellow pupil with a prearranged plan to have a crafty skive.

Big Brother Watch are just using the tabloids and the gullibility of the public to their own ends - don't fall for it!

http://news.sky.com/story/984094/cctv-cameras-in-dozens-of-school-toilets

Is the installation of cameras in these places in school acceptable? Or is it justified to circumvent bullying and intimidation?

"I think everybody realises that this is not in the cubicles, it is in the open areas, and actually, that's where a lot of bullying and difficult behaviour takes place.

"It is an area where teachers are not likely to be. Parents are probably quite pleased about it."

I don't see a problem with them as long as they are visible with warning signs in place, but it is a pity schools feel they need to use them.

Archived