The Woodhead Route

Indigogo

• 6 years later...

Have memories and stories of Woodhead electric driver Jack Marr if anyone remembers him. One story was when he took us as kids to 'The Loco' at Darnall (?) to collect his wages. He showed us around an electric loco and pointed out two switches in the cab reading 'Pants Up' and 'Pants Down' He then explained they were abbreviations for 'Pantographs' up and down ! Will tell more if anyone interested.

VERY interested in this route, would love to have had a walk through the Woodhead tunnel. Does anyone know if its true that there is a large cavern in the middle where it opens up? and I also heard you could swap tunnels in the middle too? (the older victorian tunnels)

Some good pictures there, particulary the shots of Silkstone Tunnel, beautiful stonework.

I worked briefly as a goods guard on the GC late 50's and I did one trip on that line up to the junction at Penistone/Oxsprings. It was a train of those big 'hopper' wagons, big steel jobs with a drop door at the base. I remember it because while we were waiting at the home signal at Penistone, I was leaning on the safety rail of the brake van and my attention was taken by a movement in the grass opposite, and what should come rolling out but three Stoats, scrapping like hell. They were like a furry football, rolling down the bank.

VERY interested in this route, would love to have had a walk through the Woodhead tunnel. Does anyone know if its true that there is a large cavern in the middle where it opens up? and I also heard you could swap tunnels in the middle too? (the older victorian tunnels)

Don't know if there's a cavern in the Woodhead Tunnel but there is one in the Totley Tunnel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totley_Tunnel

Does anyone know if any photos exist of this cavern please?

Archived